Shocked when exiting car

How do you avoid getting shocked every time you exit your car?

If your car has synthetic upholstery, all you need is an anti-static spray. Just spay it on like Scotchguard, and there will be no more sparks and shocks. Most auto supply stores have it.

Thanks for the info-- actually I wanted to comment on the latest radio show about the lady whose husband gets shocked every time he exits his car. What I do is maintain contact with the car door as I step out of the car. Sometimes I’ll hear a faint crackle, but this seems to work for me. Anybody else tried that? By the way, I have a Camry with the “velour” upholstery and will try that. Thanks, Docnick!

Another thought on the last show. Wait a few seconds before getting out. The husband probably jumped out quickly, whereas the caller probably took a little longer. During those few seconds, the electricity will gradually work its way through the conductivity of the tires.

Certain brands of tires generate more static than others. You can purchase a “ground strap” at an auto parts store. It attaches underneath the car and drags on the ground to dissipate static. Either that, or grab on to something metal every time you enter/exit the car. I’ve gotten shocked strongly enough to cause pain in my finger for a few minutes.

I had the same problem with both our vehicles at one time.
I too thought that it was the vehicle, yet I happened to notice that it was only when I wore a pair of zip up the side boots, that were lined with some fake sheepskin. Once I stopped wearing those I never got another shock. I threw those puppies in the trash and have been shock free for over two years.
I really don’t think my Magnetic personality has changed!


The static shock you receive from a car is a result of friction from some part of your clothing against the materials in the car and not from the car itself and ground straps won’t help. The way to stop this is to hold a metal part of the car BEFORE exiting and holding it until you have both feet on the ground and your body clear of the car. Then let go. You will never get shocked again.

I have had the problem with my car and I resolved it for free. Logic says you always have an arc when you get a shock, meaning a gap between the skin and the car. To avoid this arc grab onto a metal, not plastic or cloth, part of the car while stepping out of the car and before touching the ground. By doing this the gap to arc is between the shoe and the ground rather than the hand and the car. My shoes don’t have any nerves so they are not pained by the shock either!
I never received a shock again!

I just (1)open the door;(2) grip hand on roof/exit frame(before putting feet on ground)Otherwise it’ll pretty much “get ya” every time you touch the door after opening it up in cool weather.

Try to eliminate wool from your wardrobe. I replaced a lost Navy peacoat with a leather jacket and I don’t get shocked anymore.

The electricity will pass through most noticably the last part of the circuit that completes. You can take advantage of that by first grasping the window frame of the car, THEN putting your foot on the ground. You’ll notice the electricity if your fingertip is the last thing that completes the circuit, but you won’t notice it at all if your shoe is the last thing to complete the circuit.

Or, if you forget, and are getting shocked when you touch the door to close it, simply touch the key to the corner of the door frame. The spark will be at the tip of the key and you won’t feel it.

The ground straps seldom work.

Lots of advice… I am going to try some myself… My way has been not to touch with my fingers. I use the back of my right soulder, the elbow if it is cover by clothes, my leg or my shoe… Really being shocked even once in a while sucks! :frowning:

In the case of my brother’s car, he started getting shocked after taking the car to the dealer for a recall. He couldn’t figure out what they did other than they did a really nice job of cleaning his car, including under the hood. The problem was in the fact that they got the car really clean. The air moving over the car will cause a static buildup if the tires don’t discharge the charge. To avoid this, spray the outside surface of the car with silicone spray. The silicone spray will prevent static buildup in the first place. We did this with his and the problem was solved. A side benefit is that ice comes off of the car easier than if it had no silicone and silicone on the windshield causes the water to bead up and blow off as well as also stops the wiper blades from squeeking.

I used to touch my ignition key to the seat belt buckle before touching the door with my hand to ground out static between my denim jeans and cloth car seats in dry winter weather. But lately, I’ve been using a vinyl seat cushion with a backrest, strapped securely to the seat and sliding off of it generates no static at all.