Shock absorbers

I will replace four shocks on my 1998 GMC 1/2 ton, 1500 pickup with two wheel drive.
Quote from Service Manual:
“Original equipment shock absorbers serve additionally as suspension drop cutoffs. Replacement shock absorbers must have a built in suspension cutoff feature and must not be longer than original shocks when they are fully extended or serious vehicle or component damage could result.”

Not sure what suspension cutoffs are and neither did the service person or their parts department at the local GMC dealership!
I bought Monroe Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorbers and am ready to install but want to make sure these suit the above quote. Can anyone out there help?

If they can’t help you, I wouldn’t worry. A reputable maker will often offer after market products superior in every way to OEM. Shocks and tires often fall into that category. It certainly is not a truck Monroe hasn’t make a gazillion succesful shocks for.

What they’re saying is that if you use shocks that are longer the brake hydraulic lines, ABS sensor wiring, etc. may be stressed or damaged when the vehicle is raised on a rack for future servicing and the rear axle or front control arms drop too much.

I don’t think you will have a problem but if there is concern you might compare the extended length of a new one against the ext. length of one of the old ones when removed. If there’s a slight variance I wouldn’t worry about it because there’s going to be a certain amount of difference anyway due to rubber grommet crush.

The rear shocks on my late model Lincoln are actually for an early model Lincoln Mark III. They’re heavier duty, about 1.5" longer, and have never been a problem.

When the shock absorber is fully extended, it has reached its cutoff. The shocks you bought are perfect for your truck. Sensa-Trac means “almost original equipment” in English.

Thanks: “dagosa”, “ok4450” and “pleasedodgevan2”…I am now “crystal_clear” about what the GMC quote in the service manual intends to mean (makes me feel smarter than some GMC employees). Tomorrow I’ll install these shocks with confidence…I only wish I would have thought to get new bolts and nuts for them when I was at the auto parts store. They do not come with the shocks.