Shimmy shake, is it a sign

Two questions really. They are about my F250. It is a 92 with 186000 miles. I love this truck.

1. After a long trip, maybe 1.5 hours, the truck will shudder while I let out the clutch in first gear. This only occurs in first, and it doesn’t happen after the truck sits for a bit, just after driving.

2. I have an opportunity for a good deal on a F150. It is a 2001 with 181,000 miles for $4000. Is it worth updating for the new technology even if there is the same old high mileage issue?

Thanks for any advice.

I’d say an '92 you know is better than an unknown '01. I don’t see a compelling reason to change a 186K truck for a 181K truck.

The shimmy in the clutch could mean you are getting close to needing a new clutch. The '01 likely has an auto trans. I’d rather have a standard trans in an old truck. A new or rebuilt anto trans is expensive and trucks with 181K aren’t too far away from needing serious auto trans work.

Thanks for the feedback, I would love to hear other opinions about the switch. What you said is making me change my mind about the purchase.

I agree w/the others, an older truck w/a manual is better than a newer with an auto if they have the same mileage. If the newer truck has a manual, maybe, but it seems like a bad bet to be spending that much $$ on a truck with 180K on it. If you can find a truck with 100K or less, and you want to buy a replacement rather than fixing the existing one, I’d say that would be a better deal, even if it cost a bit more.

It’s not a good deal if you really don’t need it, and you really don’t, unless you want air bags or some other recent technology. If you want a truck, you have one. Maybe it needs a clutch, but that’s not a crime, it’s just maintenance. While you are in there, you might consider replacing the rear main seal (I’m not a Ford truck guy, this is just a thought). The only thing that will kill a vehicle before its time is rust. I’ve lost a few over the years to that red devil. My 68 Tempest convertible, one day, just started creaking, the doors stuck, and within a few days the frame just gave way. Great engine, no car. If your truck is sound and solid, fix it. $4,000 will go a long way toward getting it in good shape.

My vote is for sticking with what you have. That older technology on the 92 is also much easier and cheaper to service than the 2001 model.

You’d be replacing a truck you love with a known history and in known condition for one that, like all used vehicles, carries with it unknowns and risk, especially with that kind of mileage on it.

Stick with what you have. I see absolutely zero reason to make the swap.

I’d stick with what I have. It just doesn’t make sense to me to trade and pay difference for a truck that may need as much or more work than yours does. The newer truck may not need a clutch, but there could be other things that need repairing.

It is decided, keeping the old one until I can afford something with considerably less miles. Thanks for all the input.