Shale oil during the Carter administration

China only had a one child policy. They did not tell anyone how to impliment it. Social norms dictated the unfortunate way that many parents responded to the policy. How can you know the way any other society would respond to a similar policy? Just because you would respond differently doesn’t mean that there are millions of members of our society that wouldn’t respond the same way. It’s already incredibly expensive to raise children. Maybe $5000 per child? Naaah, that’s just a blip compared to the hospital and doctor’s bills. IMO, legislating child bearing is a very bad idea.

Now that you mention @cdaquila, maybe we should do her a favor and delete the comments that we know cross the line. I’ll start.

1 Like

Did you not see that the comment came DIRECTLY after wavyonwheel’s comment . . . and you had been inactive on this discussion for several days, anyways

For what it’s worth, as far as I’m concerned, we’re good :+1:

Well, as has been stated in the past, we’re all entitled to our opinion(s)

And I for one am of the opinion that I didn’t cross “the line”

And since this is going to get shut down anyways, I’ll stay off-topic

I was a mechanic in my “home country” . . . the one I was born in . . . but it became clear that if I wanted to continue to turn wrenches, the USA would be a better place for me to be. So I came here, bought house(s) over the years, and I am broadly speaking very happy here

Yeah, I said it . . . I love this country and I actually chose this place. I’m here because I wanted to be here.

So therefore my earlier comments are valid . . . if a location, situation, etc., is not to somebody’s liking, because there are are just too many things that they disagree with and if it’s unlikely/impossible that those things will ever change, then leaving may be a good decision to make

For me, it was the right decision to make

Where I lived before, mechanic wasn’t considered a good and honorable job. And on top of that, it would have been very difficult to save enough money for a down payment on a house. I’m not saying it’s easy here, but home ownership is more likely for a mechanic, compared to my earlier location

And automobile ownership is also easier here, as far as the average mid-size family sedan or minivan go. If you’re talking big thirsty suburbans, S-class sedans or Ferraris, that’s not cheap anywhere

And lest we forget, this is something we’ve talked about before, on this very website . . . if things “aren’t working out” where you’re at, relocating is a viable option, maybe even the best one

It could be argued I’ve even brought it back to cars, because I did mention working on cars and being a mechanic, both here and elsewhere :smiley:

2 Likes

So you didn’t cross the line into being off-topic, but you’re going to “stay off topic” anyway?

How about showing a shred of respect for the forum’s moderator, who often takes weekends off?

It’s this kind of thing that flagging is for.

I’ve been on vacation for a week, and will be gone another week. Something just told me to see what’s up here. @wavyonwheels, we can handle minor digressions, but I usually ask that we stay on cars so people stay pretty civil. @db4690, you’re ok to keep talking about cars, but using a paper thin pretext of mentioning cars to ask why someone doesn’t “love or leave” the US will get the thread shut down. It probably won’t be me, because my colleagues are covering.

1 Like

When I said “the line” I meant the line of inappropriateness

Being off-topic is another matter

so be it

And I might point out that many of the posts which are flagged and hidden . . . not just mine, by the way . . . are “liked” by forum regulars. And to be crystal clear, I mean that regulars have clicked the "heart button. That’s a pretty interesting fact :thinking:

Hi db. Not intending any sarcasm here, but some can find a post flagworthy, and others can find it interesting/funny/worth responding to. That’s what happens in a group. I agreed and hid your and wavy’s posts because they were very off-topic even though at least one person suggested getting back to cars.

I see . . .

This isn’t exactly a car, but it’s technically an automobile . . .

1 Like

Opening the door, seeing the commotion and quickly closing it again. Didn’t mean to interrupt.

2 Likes