Shaky Steering Wheel and Burning Smell

Recently, I’ve noticed a burning smell when I am turning my car off of the freeway or when I make a really sharp turn. A few days ago, I noticed that my steering wheel vibrates/shakes when I drive over 60mph. I just had my oil changed, and they didn’t see anything else as an issue. But I guess that’s what I get for not asking about it. Let me know what you think! Should I take it in to a mechanic? Oh, it’s a 2002 GXE w/about 92,000 miles on it.

YES!!! Take it in and have it checked. It could be a bad tire or a bad wheel bearing or a bad CV joint or a bad …

Too hard to tell from across the internet. Find a good independent mechanic who works on Asian cars. Stay away from chain shops, like Mienike, Jiffy Lube, or Pep Boys.

Could be oil or other fluid getting on something hot and burning. Would be useful to know what kind of burning smell? Does it smell like hot plastic? Burning oil? Cork? Can you be more specific?

If the wheel is shaking, you could have a brake caliper that’s partially locked up. This will leave the brakes partially applied on one wheel, which will heat up the rotor to astronomical temperatures (I’ve had one glowing orange hot), wear out the brake pads fast, possibly damage the rotor and other parts like wheel bearings, and can even cause a fire. And it can make the steering shake.

…yes, you should take it to a mechanic!