Seven years in storage

I have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee 4.7 v8. I put a new battery in. I tried starting it up… and it, like when your sick but Fleetwood Mac’s in town, wanted to go, but it fired up but it died. It dies as soon as I take my foot off the gas. It will start use starter fluid to get it to kick over. It sputters out. I changed the oil w new filter and transmission w/filter and battery terminals. I also put in some Lucas Fuel cleaner, there is about half a tank of old gas in tank. Maybe the IAC senor need to be change?? Thanks for the input!

How many years has it been since it was last fired up?
Gas does go bad. Fuel system cleaner will not address very old gas.

whe putting it into storage did you do anything to the car to prevent damage?

when you tooking out, before starting it, did you check all the fluids?

No, now I know about pre-storage fluids. Yea, and it did the same. The terminals were kind of corroded, so I changed those out.

Never. I has be just sitting there @“the same mountainbike”

It*

@“the same mountainbike”

ALL of that old gasoline needs to come out. Odds are if you poured some on the driveway and threw a match on it the gas would not even ignite.

Once running with fresh gasoline (and some likely poor running after startup) the odds of a fuel pump failure go up dramatically. Old gasoline can kill a fuel pump; either while sitting or after being put back in operation. Same goes for the fuel filter as moisture can settle in the filters and rust them out internally.

I think he is saying your fuel is shot, drain the tank and use fresh gas. It may take a bit of starting fluid to run the old garbage through, If that is wrong @the_same_mountainbike please correct.

I’d drain the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in. Normally I’d suggest putting some oil in the cylinders and turning it over without spark plugs to get the cylinders lubed before trying to start it, but it sound like you’ve already passed that stage. Do check the oil level before starting it however, as well as the coolant level.

Be aware that once it fires up you may have to deal with leaks. All the rubbery bits like O-rings, crank seals, oil filter sealing ring, and caliper piston seals are probably pretty dry and may be shrunken and cracked by now.

And I urge you to please check the brake fluid level, take it half way up the block to check the brake system function and to closely visually inspect after for evidence of leaks after before even thinking of taking it out on the road. You’re better to have a leak spring forth 100 feet from your driveway than driving 40mph past a schoolyard with kids playing in it. If it passes muster, I strongly recommend flushing the old brake fluid out with fresh brake fluid. The other fluids should be changed too, but the brakes are absolutely critical. Failure to get it started in the morning can ruin your morning, but failure to get it stopped can ruin the rest of your life.

Get the old gas out of the tank, fill the tank and dump in a can of SeaFoam.

And cross your fingers.

Tester

I did dump some seafoam in the oil couple days ago, but an oil change was done today

Recap you have old bad fuel seeafoam in the oil will not address the suggestions provided by our esteemed members previously.

Well Thanks y’all!! I’m definitely gald yall shared some of your knowledge.

Making me hungry for grits, red eye gravy, and biscuits!

I agree that you have to get that old gas out of there. My brother and I pulled a '39 Olds out of his girlfriend’s back yard back in the late 60’s. The car had been parked there 16 years earlier by her father. We drained the gas and the oil and put in a fresh battery. The old engine cranked right up and it’s still in running condition today.