Set up for changing oil in 2009 Sienna

Though by now per the NAFTA treaty, all older cars were allegedly allowed for importation into Mexico, actual Mexican regulations did not allow me to import my 2002 Sienna, so it is sitting in McAllen for a while until I decide they aren’t going to allow it.

So, I got a 2009 Sienna here in Mexico. Oil changing was easy on the 2002. I could change the filter while standing up by the car, and the draining I could lay on the ground and reach under,

The 2009 is such that I couldn’t even see the cartridge cap until I drove the car on a diagonal sidewalk by the house. So, I drove into the second biggest city in my state.

For around $95 USD, I got two Rhino Ramps, made in Emporia, Kansas, and two 3 ton jack stands, made in China and shipped via the USA. I paid a few dollars more for ramps rated for vehicles with GVW 16,000 pounds. Obviously, I don’t need that for a Sienna, but in the past I have regretted buying the minimum I thought I needed. An example is the OBD scanner. The first one read codes and reset them. Second one had freeze frame and live data. My next one will have sensor graphing.

With these ramps, I can deal with a large pickup or small truck.

Yes, things imported from the US cost more. Traditionally around 30% more than in the US.

In my village there are few level spots for cars. My car port is one of the few, because I told my builder to make it level.

I ordered an aluminum cartridge cap wrench from Amazon, and asked my wife to put it in her suitcase when she comes back in a week or so. It is not big nor heavy.

And your point is???

2 Likes

Well, I guess you realize it is getting more of a pain to work on cars. On my 2005 Camry, the oil change and the ATF drain and refill is a breeze. The 2013 Sonata has access ports cut in the bottom of the engine cover for oil/filter change but you have to drop that cover for ATF drain and then there is not “dipstick”, so you have to fill it from above where there is a hole, then get the ATF to 140 degrees and check the level from a check port.
On a 2015and above Sonata, a regular oil change would require the bottom pan to be removed, around 12 screws and nuts I guess.
Toyota’s are still more DIY friendly, but not by much.

1 Like

Just the opposite for me. On our Acura TL, I’d have to raise the front 6 inches or so in order to crawl under it to get to the drain plug and filter. On the Acura RDX, it’s a little higher so I don’t need anything. I can’t imagine bothering with ramps and jack stands every time I’d change oil. I still have to raise the Pontiac a little but both the drain and filter on both cars are reasonably accessible.

1 Like

Do I need a point? I was only reporting what I had to do to be able to change my oil here in the mountains. This is General Discussion of automotive topics.

Part of the problem here is the terrain, I think.

I think with a different car, I need to run Mobil-1 EP for a year as I did on the 2002 and then do a test as I did on the other car to see how this one uses oil additives. Using jack stands and ramp once a year will not be a major hardship.