Service Engine Soon Light - 99 Caddy

I have the light on and had it checked (Auto Zone) to determine why. Results are:

1) “check gas cap problem” [two markers] I have a new gas cap so that is not the issue.

“torque converter problem” [two markers] what the heck?

Lets start with a note. There is no code that says you need a new gas cap. There is a code that says you appear to have a leak in the vapor recovery system, which is often a faulty gas cap. Make sure your gas cap is sealing well and give it some time, it may take a few driving cycles before it will stop giving the signal.

Torque converter I will defer to someone with more experience than I in that area. Maybe transman will stop by.

…Service Engine Soon Light…is this the same as maintenance required??? time for oil change???

You are correct about the verbiage; my mistake but the intention was there. Thanks a lot. I have a new gas cap and it is seated as good as three clicks will manage. This may be bigger than what I want to imagine but I do appreciate your quick and correct response. Mike

The “text” doesn’t help. What are the exact codes? (e.g. P1234)

I’ll have to go back to the Auto Zone or to the shop to get the codes. Thanks.

You can access the codes yourself. Here is the procedure to get the codes without a scan tool.

Turn the ignition switch to ON.
Simultaneously press the following buttons until all Vacuum Florescent (VF) display segments, Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and Climate Control Panel (CCP) are illuminated:
With digital IPC, the Climate Control Center (CCC) “OFF” and “warmer” (RED) buttons.
With analog IPC, the Climate Control Panel (CCP) “OFF” and “PASS warmer” (up arrow) buttons.
After the segment display test, the driver message center displays all set DTC, current and history, in the following order:
PCM DTC
IPC DTC
ACM DTC
SDM DTC
TCS DTC
PZM DTC
IRC DTC
RFA DTC
CCP DTC
MSM DTC
MMM DTC
PHN DTC The RSS, CCP, MSM, MMM and PHN DTC appear only on vehicles equipped with these options.
Press the “FAN DOWN” button in order to bypass the DTC display.

Thanks a lot. You are super helpful.