Service contract administrator ranking

I am considering buying a service contract. I have been reading the posts here on how its just better to plow that money into a bank account instead and just use that to pay for repairs. But assuming I still wanted to move forward with a service contract where could I find a list of top ranked service contract administrators. This page makes it clear that it is really the service administrator that is important as that is the company you will dealing with them making a claim.
https://www.cartalk.com/extended-warranties/understanding-extended-warranties-insiders-guide
So is anyone aware of any websites that have compiled a list of service contract administrators that say have A or higher BBB ratings and 4 star or higher Google ratings (ā€¦other ratings systems)?

You have hit on a huge problem in getting an ā€˜extended warrantyā€™- which ones are any good? I would only go with a factory-backed one to avoid the scammers, of which there are many. But I never have, and have come out waaay ahead, money-wise over 40+ years.

3 Likes

Although Iā€™d never actually buy an extended warranty myself, if for some reason I did, Iā€™d only consider one from the manufacturer itself. I think thereā€™s too much risk otherwise.

2 Likes

Google is your best sourceā€¦ and even that is suspect. So no sites to direct you toā€¦

But donā€™t buy one. For a Audi A4, youā€™ll pay a hefty price, Iā€™d bet, and get little service in return.

I have no idea how the administrator can have any effect on claims . The claims are usually handled by a service adjuster . Could you be confusing a service contract ( which means prepaying for oil changes and vehicle service ) with an extended warranty ( avoid those ) ?

But is it possible to get a manufacturer factory-backed one for cars already out of warranty?

I think the op is looking for a site that ranks RipOffCharlie Warranty and Churro Shop against WetakeyourmoneyandRun Inc as well as lesser known providers

7 Likes

I am referring to the service contract that this cartalk page refers to:
https://www.cartalk.com/extended-warranties/understanding-extended-warranties-insiders-guide
It not just about oil changes and maintenance (though some include that). I am not interested in oil changes and maintenance.

I read that article when it was first posted . I did not see anything about administrators. Even the first paragraph is saying that extended warranties are just not worth it. Just forget this idea as hardly anyone ever really gets the repairs they think they shoudl.

2 Likes

Then you have to read the extended warranty. I got one really cheap for a used car I bought at a dealership, stated 60 months 60k miles. I needed a new window switch, came to find out because warranty was checked as wrap around it was 60 months from the date the car was put into service. Finance guy is that is why I never sell these, the advisor you spoke to is no longer with the company! Expired last April. Service guy was oh you have the extended warranty it should be covered as I only have 38k miles. He was confused also!
Unlike my Toyota we leased, 3 month before the lease was up I bought the extended warranty, I called as it seems to be idling high, and he looked it up, I am covered bumper to bumper till 2027 as long as I dont go past 70k miles, at 23k now!

Maybe itā€™s been updated since you read it but it definitely talks about ā€œadministratorsā€.
I understand the general consensus is that they are not worth it. But Iā€™m looking into them anyway and all Iā€™m trying to find out is if anyone knows of a site that rates them.

Other than the extended warranty which is offered by the manufacturer at the time of purchase, the majority of ā€œvehicle protection plansā€ are a scam. These plans are designed to take your money, and then when a repair is needed, they will try to weasel out of paying.

The most common way in which they deny coverage is by requesting proof of every oil change/coolant change/transmission fluid change starting when the car was sold new. If you bought the vehicle used, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to provide this documentation, and then the claim is denied for ā€œlack of maintenanceā€.

My advice is to skip the ā€œvehicle protection planā€ and save your money. Continue to maintain the car at least as much as the ownerā€™s manual suggests. Even if the ownerā€™s manual claims that the transmission fluid never needs replacing, do not believe this claim. Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter at least every 90,000 miles.

1 Like

That is the best way that way you get the repairs when where and how you want with no hassle about filing a claim.

1 Like

I did not see that ridiculous part about administratorā€™s because I gave up on that waste of time article . I was surprisedthat the Car Talk moderators even allowed it on the site . I guess the administrator oart is a 3rd party to approve or deny claims . That could change every time the contract ended . ejudgie just put extended complaints in your search engine and that should convince you to forget this extended warranty plan.

Hi @ejudgie_182260
Iā€™m curious what youā€™re hoping to learn from some online site ranking these contract administrators, and how you will use that information.

With so many of these places using their employees to fill the internet with fake reviews, and with so many of them repeatedly closing shop just to immediately reopen under a new name to avoid lawsuits, Iā€™m having a difficult time understanding how anyone would trust such a ā€œrankingā€ system that youā€™re looking for.

[Update: I too am surprised to see Car Talk allow content that leads readers to view that industry with anything but extreme caution and critical analysis. ]

Iā€™d be looking to find ones that had been in business for a very long time and to just look at ones that have the best track record. Maybe there is an impartial website out there that requires legitimate contract numbers (ie consumer reports). I donā€™t know.
Obviously it wouldnā€™t be my sole source of information.
RE: Car Talk article, I think it does actually recommend using caution.

None that weā€™re aware ofā€¦

1 Like

Hereā€¦

Took me 10 seconds to find

And another listing

Anotherā€¦

30 seconds into this. Reviews are easier to find than Starbucks

Whatā€™s Covered by an Audi Extended Warranty? (2022) - AutoGuide.com

My problem with those plan comparison sites is they seem closely tied to the plan companies, and concentrate on advertised coverage, cost, and ease of signing up. I want to know what happened after the sale.

4 Likes