Serpentine Belt Slipping off in Wet Conditions

We own a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan(186,000 Miles) with a 3.3 Liter motor that has an ongoing problem with the serpentine belt slipping off every time we drive through a puddle. The problem is getting progressively worse, and tonight it actually slipped off after driving on only 30 feet of wet pavement! 20,000 miles ago, our mechanic installed a new serpentine belt and said that there appeared to be no problem with the tensioning, but the problem is still occurring. Any thoughts on solving this problem would be appreciated.

[b]This is a known problem with the Chrysler minivans.

What happens is, water gets between the serpentine belt and the crank pulley. This water causes a hydraulic action which forces the belt off the pulley.

The dealer has a kit that protects this area from getting wet which prevents the belt from comming off.

Tester[/b]

Thank you for the helpful information. We wonder if there may be additional underlying problem since the situation is getting progressively worse, and the prior owner did not have this problem. Do you have any additional thoughts on this?

Attached is the Chrysler technical service bulletin to repair the problem. Hope it helps.
~Michael

Thank you for the information.

I didn’t download the TSB you were given, but I’ve know about the water splashing for a long time.

One other reason for a belt to keep coming off is when a pulley is out of line with the others.

The dealer has a kit that protects this area from getting wet which prevents the belt from comming off.

Any idea of cost to install? Was there a recall on this problem? Taking a vehicle to a dealer is like going to a doctor (joke) Please advise.

Itchyfinga1

I know there is a gates kit for this as well. Look on allpar.com forums section.

i would also replace the tensioner pulley, at this mileage its short money to do that too.

i have a T&C too. never heard of this TSB though!