Sell the car?

My 1999 E320 runs well. I have spent about $1500.00 in 2009 for company recommended flexible maintenance. It has about 150,000 miles. I drive about 100 miles a week. Should I sell it before it causes any significant problems?

Can you recommend a good mechanic for this car in the Baltimore area?

At 150K it’s just broken in real well. You can expect some expense to drive such a nice car, but it’s cheaper than the payments on a new Benz.

If you are looking for a good indy shop in your area, look at the Mechanics Files on this same website. http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/ There is sure to be at least one good shop out there.

If someone was paying me mileage such as 40 cents per miles, I would hang on to the car. If I was paying all this out of my own pocket, I would sell the car immediately and get a frugal, quiet commuter such as a Hyunda Sonata ($20,000 loaded) and drive happily and cheaply for the next 250,000 miles!

You present car at the rate you drive will soon start costing 3000-4000 dollars per year in maintenance and repairs. The E class is not the worst Mercedes, but as the miles accumulate, they don’t last the way they used to. In the mid 80s a friend in Texas had a Tubodiesel E Class. These cars would run forever. Those days are gone.

I have a number of friends who drive these cars, but they are retired and only drive 8000 miles a year or so. And their cars look good parked at the country club.