Seeking your ideas: Tips for new posters

Hello, guys. This comment has been edited - I found out how to close the discussions en masse. I closed everything that hasn’t been commented on for the last three months. Everything should still be accessible by search, but it is closed to new comments. Hope this helps!

Also, wanted to circulate this to people who have been having difficulty logging in on one or both of their computers, with mysteriously rejected passwords - there is a software change being implemented to tell people whether the username or password is incorrect. The developers are trying to pinpoint the source of the problem, and it’s taking some time.

Tom and Ray would add (to make, model, year, size of engine): “What color is it” and “Is the check engine light on?” :slight_smile:

Carolyn…not sure you’re still following this thread, but I did have a thought to offer. I’m new on this forum, but have noticed some cases where OP never responds after they’ve submitted a question. If there was some diplomatic way that you could urge them to actually engage in the dialog, that would help THEM.

I’ve seen thorough and insightful responses from many of the genuine experts here, and no sign at all of the OP. The forum regulars who are spending their time providing excellent and free advice ought to at least feel like the OP is actually tuned in! I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Personally, I think common courtesy is to at least ACKNOWLEDGE the suggestions provided by the regulars by answering followup questions about symptoms etc. I admire the generosity of the remarkable collection of mechanics who spend a lot of time helping others here, seems to me that these folks deserve more “thank you’s” than they are getting.

I appreciate the education I’m getting just reading many of the threads. Thanks everyone!

WR - that’s what we call ‘drive by postings’ - either the OP got what they needed, didn’t like what they got, or just moved on. But yes, would be nice to hear back a little more often…

The world needs a word to describe the situation of having one’s emails and texts ignored by the recipient. the word is “e-nored.”

what about putting in definitions for a search for those of us that don’t know the correct names of things? like dooflotchy? and unfortunately I am SO not kidding. Haven’t got a clue what some of the things are called in the various and sundry engines i am attempting to work on.

In a perfect world, every OP would provide all sorts of data about their issue, including the color of their car. In reality, my observation is that most OPs have no clue as to what is or is not relevent information. All they know is that their “car makes a funny noise whenever making a turn”. I believe that the responders need to show more tolerance in replying with probing questions…just like when you go to your MD with a complaint that “my knee hurts”, then permit the MD to ask the correct probing questions.

Regarding the OPs that never reply with the results of the answers/solutions given them, why can’t the system be programmed to automaetically “ping” them within a few days/weeks to inquire about the status of their issue? Or the “ping” could be initiated manually by the last respondent. For example: we all get those system generated follow-ups regarding customer satisfaction queries from airlines/hotels/merchants. Is such a feature doable?

I agree that the KISS method is the best. The more someone has to weed through the quicker that person will get lost in those weeds. Categories can also have sub-categories to compartmentalize a bit more since there’s so much info out there.

I used to think Chrysler made the best American cars–well, since Packard, anyway… That was before Saturday, I was just about to turn down my exit when there was a loud noise, and the car (2991 Town & Country) started shaking very badly. I could see pieces of tire in the side mirror. As I pulled right I realized that power steering and brakes were not working. When Io got to the bottom of the exit and pulled onto the grass verge, I got out for a look. The left front tire had shed the tread, but still held air. However, the tread had shredded the main wiring harness. The guy who towed the car home told me he sees that problem a lot with Chrysler and Dodge vehicles. They simply do not protect the harness well enough. A tire comes apart, it probably will take out the harness. Had that not happened, I could have driven to work, changed the tire, and driven home. Now I don’t know how much it will cost me in time or money to either repair this harness or replace it. We should start a class action lawsuit against Chrysler over this.

Then there is the manual problem. The Haynes manual contains not one word about replacing the harness. Give me a Chilton or Clymer manual ANY day. But the Haynes manual DOES say that the ignition switch is on the left side of the steering column. That puzzled me until I realized that it comes from a country where they drive on the wrong side of the street!

Uh, make that a 2001 Town and Country…

@jhwaaser
I think you would need a LOT more instances than your own to start a class action alwsuit, but you’re more than welcome to try. Good luck finding a lawyer who would file such a case AND have reasonable rates

We'd like to create a list of tips/recommended info for users to include in their questions to the community.

having the vehicles in the signature works well. this is done on other newsgroups.

but you are not asking about that. you are specifically asking how to articulate good questions. if a user does not understand how to articulate a good question at all, how will they even be wondering to themselves if they are articulating a good question?

so I do not understand how to answer this question without writing a book that has already been written numerous times on the subject.

update:
ok here’s the article I was trying to think of. it is for computer stuff but is written rather generally and is a classic:

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
by
Eric Steven Raymond

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Hi @JuniorMint. Thanks for the suggestion. This project ought to be revived, and I think this is a good starting point.

@JuniorMint - putting current car in the signature really doesn’t work here, many of the contributor have owned many, and worked on hundreds.

I’m a newbie and I think this was a great and helpful discussion. I don’t known enough to respond to questions but I welcome the opportunity to be a helpful poster. Thanks for sparking this discussion, cdaquila