Seeking vehicle anywhere in the world

Criteria:

50+ mpg

diesel

4 seater hatchback strong chassis + engine capable of towing a trailer w/cord of wood,etc.

New is good, slightly used better

In U.S. oil/car co.s will not let us at high mileage vehicles.

sm. king cab truck ok if that’s the only option.

“In U.S. oil/car co.s will not let us at high mileage vehicles.”

I’m curious. What other conspiracies do you believe are afoot nowadays, in addition to this purported one on the part of the “oil/ car co.s”?

And I want a unicorn, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Seriously, though, the only way they get 50+ mpg cars is by having them small and underpowered. The reason why we don’t get them in this country is that people expect their cars to be able to do things like pull a trailer with a cord of wood. Even if you can get the small diesels that are in those high mileage cars to get a trailer with a cord of wood going, the car itself is too light to safely control such a heavy load. Keep in mind a cord of wood is heavy-- when I do wood runs in my old 1/2 ton Chevy, it definitely feels the weight.

The two options you can look at would be that you can get an extended cab Toyota HiLux (roughly the same as the Tacoma here) or similar compact truck with a diesel and they’ll get in the neighborhood of 30 MPG on the highway and should be able to handle a cord of wood (though not at the same time!). Or there’s the mini-trucks like the Daihatsu HiJet which, with a diesel, will get in the high 40’s and can handle a reasonable amount of cargo, but for a cord of wood you’d probably have to make a few trips.

You do know that even if you find this magical vehicle, you’re not going to be able to import it to the US, right?

50+ MPG and the ability to tow a trailer full of wood, And a hatchback? I don’t know of any vehicle that meets that critera.

“In U.S. oil/car co.s will not let us at high mileage vehicles.” What does that mean?

Get yourself a TDI Jetta, or wait for a TDI Golf. You’ll get 40 mpg and the ability to tow a small trailer. As for the conspiracy, that’s just nonsense. You can thank our stringent EPA regs for the lack of diesels in the US, and that’s fine with me.

Next, you’ll expect 50 mpg while you tow a cord of wood ? Find it and I’LL buy it in a heartbeat; as will millions of other people.

VW diesel pickup.
Datsun diesel pickup.

I would still like to hear the details on the OP’s conspiracy theories.

“I would still like to hear the details on the OP’s conspiracy theories.”

He can’t come to the computer just now; he’s been detained by You Know Who.

Yes, they can be a problem–especially if the OP is not wearing his aluminum foil hat.

;-))