Sedans are in trouble

This strategic plan seems reasonable. Does it mean that the original article I quoted is fake news? :smile:

That is true, but let us not overlook yesterday’s remarks by The POTUS, in which he told cops that it is okay for them to physically mistreat people who are being placed under arrest, so in that case we will also have US cops acting as prosecutor, judge, and jury. The cops–in Suffolk County, NY-- cheered his statement.

And, the esteemed Attorney General of The US recently suggested that Civil Forfeiture should be expanded, so that mere suspicion of breaking the law could result in the authorities
relieving
 you of your assets, and not returning them even if you are found to be not guilty.

At this rate, Driving While White (or any other skin color) will soon be just as hazardous as Driving While Black.
:frowning_face:

This is already occurring by police in the U.S, at an alarming rate. It scares the heck out of me! :fearful:
CSA

Back in the '80s & '90s, the Prosecutor for my county–a guy named Nicholas Bissell–was running several scams, including targeting people whose land or cars he coveted, and then arresting them–frequently on false charges–and then using Civil Forfeiture to seize that land or those cars. He was even skimming money from gas stations that he co-owned.

Here is a capsule description of how he was brought down:

On May 10, 1990, James Giuffre was arrested on charges of selling $700 worth of cocaine. Bissell said he would drop the charges if Giuffre forfeited two plots of land to the prosecutor’s office, valued at $174,000. They were sold at auction below their appraised value to a friend of Bissell’s chief of detectives.

Giuffre then contacted the Internal Revenue Service and the FBI. Forensic accountants with the IRS discovered that Bissell skimmed cash from a gas station of which he was part owner. The FBI discovered that Bissell had destroyed a suspect’s written request for a lawyer and threatened to frame his gasoline wholesaler for cocaine possession.

In September 1995, Bissell was indicted on 30 federal charges of mail fraud, tax evasion and abuse of power. He was fired by Governor Christine Todd Whitman. In May 1996, he was convicted on all charges and faced a minimum sentence of six to eight years in federal prison. He was released under the condition that he wear an electronic bracelet until he was sentenced. He cut it off on November 18, 1996 and fled to Nevada, leaving a note with his intention to commit suicide. He was tracked by his cell phone.

He fatally shot himself after a 10-minute standoff in his hotel room, while members of the United States Marshals Service tried to lure him out of his room.

What that article fails to mention is that he used his elderly mother’s home as the “bond” when he posted bail. He then fled the state a few days later, and his mother wound-up being homeless as a result of her son’s actions. This guy was a true piece of excrement.
:rage:

Were any of his cronies also sentenced and convicted . . .?

Somebody like that Bissell character always need willing and able helpers, otherwise they’d never be able to pull off their :poop:

IIRC, his Captain of Detectives was also convicted. I do know that they worked in collusion to rob cars, homes, and large tracts of land from people, and I am pretty sure that this other turd was also sent to the slammer.

It was part of our in-processing at Ft Huachuca Arizona which was only about 20 miles from the border. I have driven quite a bit in Mexico and never been pulled over. If I am ever pulled over South of the border I know to ask how much the fine is and pay it.

It is important to know how the local systems work. I read an article by an American that worked in China. He was walking home from playing soccer and accidentally kicked his ball into a man sitting in a cafe. The man had the American arrested, and demanded money to go away. The American thought he did nothing wrong and fought it in court. He lost and went to jail. A completely desolate Chinese jail. It turned out he didn’t understand how the local law worked. Had he paid off the guy with the ball in his lap, he would have skated. Since he didn’t understand the way things worked, he paid a heavy price.

Corruption at its “finest” . . . if only that were China’s only problem

I don’t know if this is true or not but when I lived in Japan if in a taxi and the taxi is involved in an accident the passenger was liable.
Theory being the taxi would not have been there except at the direction of the passenger.

Taxis are too expensive in Japan. It costs $250 to go from downtown Tokyo to Narita Airport. You can do it on a bus for $12 and the train for $10.

Yes, they are, but you do get to put your head on the doily that they place on the headrests!
:smirk:

I guess that this indicates a vast cultural difference, but I can’t figure out why modern Japanese folks expect the seats in their taxis to resemble a 95 year old American woman’s living room.