Security light and system on a GM car

I have a 2003 Impala (106,000 miles) that I purchased used back in December from a dealership here in my city. Overall I have had zero issues with the car and it has ran great. However the one issue I have had to deal with is the “security system”. Back in Feb I think I would try to start my car and nothing, sit for a few minutes and then it would start. I thought it was the starter, but it wasn’t, it was the security system. Well just by chance I had to reset my low tire presure sensor light via the radio and while going through the list of things I saw security. So I went into the radio and to that area and turned it to the “off” selection and since then have had zero issues with the car starting. Then this morning I get in, car starts just fine and about 3-5 minutes into my drive the “security light” comes on in the message center box. It stays lit (doesn’t flicker or go on and off) until I get to work which was about another 25-30 minute drive on city streets. I turn the car off let it sit for a minute or so and restart, again without issue and no “security” light this time.

I know this is an issue with GM car’s with this passlock system and such and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about GM addressing this issue or what might cause the “security” light to out of the blue just come on but nothing happen and then not come back on when I restarted the car. I have found out that the “turning off” of the security system via the radio isn’t a well known or high publized way of addressing this issue and I guess I can understand why, but I am a big believer in a running car beats a non running car and I carry full insurance so not worried if my car is stolen.

Also if GM is aware of this ongoing problem with this system in thier cars why has there been no recall or addressing of a resolution on it?

As soon as I read your title I knew this was going to be a passlock issue.

You can bypass it permanently if you’re comfortable with a little soldering. See this page.

Also if GM is aware of this ongoing problem with this system in thier cars why has there been no recall or addressing of a resolution on it?

Considering the recall scandal with the other ignition switch problem that actually killed people, it shouldn’t surprise you one bit that GM declined to recall this one.

thank you for the info, but I am not anywhere gifted enough to even attempt the soldering. I am hoping that it was a one time thing with the security light coming on, as the car continued to run and not have any issues and hasn’t since it switched the alarm function “off” via the radio back in feburary. I am a bit miffed that this is an issue that seems to being hidden by GM.

I’d be miffed too. Among the various car boards I frequent, I probably see a passlock complaint at least once a week. It was a bad system that does more harm than good, and I’m glad I never had to deal with it on any of my cars.

Unfortunately, I would be (pleasantly) surprised if this were a one time thing for you.

I’ve had very few problems with the passlock system but I do know of a major weakness with it. The ignition key. Get a new key made from the original (I suggest a dealer) or a locksmith that knows what they are doing. It’s fixed all my issues as well as relatives who have had passlock problems. Make sure to stop using the old keys once you get new ones.

I was figuring that…just have to find a way to scrape up the $150 it is to get a new key cut.

Try a locksmith that is certified to make a new key and see if the price is lower. We did that when we changed locks after a car theft and saved some money.

I dunno, my security light went on once while I was driving last year and then went off again. I haven’t had any problem since. So maybe just ignore it if its not causing a problem and just once in a while.

There’s no way routine wear and tear on moving parts is going to be anywhere near grounds for a recall. Especially on a 10+ year old car.

There is a resolution for the problem. Have the issue diagnosed and repaired at a qualified garage.

I’m not trying to be snarky, just stating my opinion. Truth be told I don’t care much for vehicle security systems either. But the fact is my insurance on cars that have them is less than cars not so equipped. And let’s see how fast cars get stolen once people find out all you need is a paper clip or screwdriver to start them.

Problem is from what I am finding out is that this problem isn’t just happening on older cars. It’s a part defect from what I can find out online.

As for the light, it didn’t come on at all on the drive home last night or at all this morning. So I am wondering what would have caused it just to come on yesterday on the drive in. There was some rain/dew heavy on my car and I wonder if maybe the added moisture affected the wiring?

The security system is not a safety issue, it is a customer satisfaction issue. GM would not be required to recall the cars by NHTSA since you can’t get hurt if the car won’t let you drive it!

Would it not be a safety issue if while you are doing it activates shutting down the car, which from what I have read has occured.

@asemaster

There’s no way routine wear and tear on moving parts is going to be anywhere near grounds for a recall. Especially on a 10+ year old car.

Correct, but this isn’t routine wear and tear on moving parts. This is a badly designed solid state security pass switch. My 3 oldest vehicles have a combined age of 73 years. The youngest one is 22 years old, and none of them have managed to wear out non-moving parts yet. You’d think GM could get this right.

@Mustangman

The security system is not a safety issue, it is a customer satisfaction issue.

While they are not required to issue a recall, considering that customer dissatisfaction is what led to the government bailing them out so they wouldn’t go belly up, you’d think they’d find a fresh new interest in customer satisfaction.

Instead they’re insisting that cars made before the government bailout were made by a different company and therefore they’re not responsible for anything on them, safety or otherwise.

Welcome to the new GM - just as crappy as the old GM.

The fault could lie with any of the moving parts like the ignition switch, the ignition lock and tumbler, or with the wiring and connections, or with the solid-state circuitry withing the passlock module. The ignition switch is in my opinion the most common failure.

However I did recently replace a passlock control module for a similar complaint. True, I would think solid state components should last the life of the car, but then if they did I would never need to replace my cable modem or my TV or computer monitor or anything that has a circuit board. I don’t see anything out of the ordinary about replacing components on a 12 year old car.

I do agree with you to a certain extent about quality. If I remember the passlock module cost about $300. Maybe if it cost $500 it wouldn’t fail. Too many things are built to price point and not quality.

Would it not be a safety issue if while you are doing it activates shutting down the car

That isn’t how the system works. The Passlock signal is only verified upon starting the engine. It is ignored afterward until the next start attempt.

which from what I have read has occured.

The internet is rife with misinformation…

I have owned more than a dozen GM vehicles with security systems from VATS to the latest Passlock system. I have two issues in that time. Both were caused by the old pellet based systems that had the ignition switch module with the fine gauge wires that failed from repeated use after a decade or so. NO soldering required to defeat those, just pull apart the ignition module harness connector running down the column and insert an appropriate 1/4W film resistor into the connector going to the VATS/Passlock module. then tape and tuck it back in…

If was just a couple people saying it’s happened I might agree, but I have come across to many that have said that while driving the security light came on and was blinking and a few minutes/seconds later the car engine shut off.

I hope your right that I am never driving and have the engine shut off due to the security issue.

The internet is rife with misinformation...

I think he might have been conflating the Passlock problem with the more recent ignition switch scandal.

All I know is when there is an issue with a part or system in a car that occurs not due to wear and useage but due to faulty parts I would kinda think that should be on the shoulders of the manufactors, not to public.

You expect manufacturers to warrantee electronics forever? Is not going to happen. electronics have failure modes like everything else, they are just more subtle, such as whisker growth.

For example, I’ve had TVs fail at the 5 year point and at the 12 year point. But not forever.

As to bad designs, that happens also, and I did have one TV with that problem, and got the manufacturer to replace it, but that was just after I bought it.

b

You expect manufacturers to warrantee electronics forever?

Speaking for myself, no I don’t. But I do expect manufacturers to install quality parts. While GM is under no obligation to replace parts that go bad after 10 years, if GM is installing parts that should technically almost never go bad, but still go bad after 10 years while other companies are installing parts that still work fine after 20, then GM is going to lose business.

… And that’s exactly what happened.