Seat belt does not completely retract

I have considered that.

I do not believe I ever stated that I was considering modifying it.

Thanks. Great advice. :slight_smile:

There are always be those who just like to complain or act as know it alls.

If someone asks what I think or I decide to help, I will only do so if I can do it cheerfully.

I may try that.

OR more graphite.

Just kidding. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some people would probably consider adding an unapproved type of lubricant a type of modification. At least your shirts are still clean :slight_smile:

I think a lot of the commentary and confusion stems from reading that someone put something (anything) on the fabric portion of a seat belt to correct a problem of the belt not retracting. Applying something to the belt couldnā€™t possibly help to correct this problem, and I think some of the replies you received were from people who were surprised that you tried that.

4 Likes

In answer I say they you may want to look up graphite and see what it is used for.

It is used for lubricated locks and many other uses.

Graphite reduces friction. And reducing friction of the belt will aid in itā€™s retraction.

Maybe they were surprised cuz they did not think of the idea. :slight_smile:

Graphite may indeed be used to reduce friction . . .

But that doesnā€™t change the fact youā€™re not supposed to apply it to the seat belt webbing

I believe ā€œtheyā€ were surprised you did that, because they knew itā€™s a no-no

And they hadnā€™t considering doing it themselves, because they knew it was the wrong thing to do

To sum it up, I agree completely with @asemaster

4 Likes

WHAT??? I think some of your responses were so incredulous because of that idea. Thatā€™s akin to saying ā€œI have a tire that does not roll freely on the pavement so I lubricated the tireā€ instead of addressing the root cause wheel bearing or brake issue. The issue with your seat belt has to do with the retractor/locking mechanism, not the belt itself.

5 Likes

And maybe moreā€” if they are a good at diagnostics, saving you a lot of time and money in long run. If they are pleasant and informative also, that earns them points (and bucksā€¦)

My post about the seat belt has been beat into the ground.

Itā€™s time to move on. :slight_smile:

The part that needs to be cleaned and lubed is the spring and spool on
the retractor. Usually you need to remove some trim to get to them.

Be VERY careful if you have a newer (2005 and up) car. Most have sensors
for the air bags as well as locking charges that fire with the air-bags.

ā€“
Steve W.

Whereā€™d you pick that 2005 date?

Airbags, crash sensors and etrs have been around a longer than that . . .

I was just posting some advice I got.

Next time try to verify before repeating. Are you Andrew or Steve as if it matters?

1 Like