Scheduled Mainenance?

well dude im not an expert but ill just quickly say my sister drives a 2002 kia sportage, went on a road trip with out getting her 20.000 mile inspection, blew a tire at 80 miles an hour ripped off half of those crap palstic bumpers and put a huge dent in the door, estimate is 1,000$+, so now does 165 really sound so bad?

I don’t know about Toyota but I was the one that informed my Chrysler dealer about recalls on a Jeep Liberty . I waited 2 months for ball joints then sent an e-mail . My vehicle was due for service and would be serviced elsewhere until the ball joints were replaced . I got a call the next day . My ball joints were in . Now I’ve been waiting 2 months for a heater blower motor to replace 1 that may catch fire . No e-mails this time . I just go elsewhere for service . Toyota may have a better attitude . They have a recall for bad camshafts in Tundra engines and they are replacing the entire engine , unlike Ford who jerked 6.0 diesel owners around until trucks were bought back under lemon laws .

That is a tire issue that most likely wouldn’t have been caught during the 15,000 mile service.

Plus, she shouldn’t have been going 80mph in the first place, that’s way over the speed limit in any state! :wink:

I do not think that this service is necessary, and this should be done by your mechanic, that probably charges lower shop rates.

Basically, all you are getting is an oil change. Inspections, tire rotation and topping fluids is part of a simple oil change. With a coupon discount, most tire companies now do this for as little as $15.00

I think you should have the recommended maintenance done, but not by your overpriced dealer! You could probably have it done at about half the price or a little more at your local independent shop or a chain like NTB. Keep your receipts, though, so that you can prove you had it done in case anything should happen during the warranty period (then the mfgr can’t say you voided the warranty by not having the scheduled maintenance done). Personally I’ve found dealer service on these “recommended” maintenances to be way overpriced!!! My area Goodyear Gemini shop always serviced my Hyundai for way less than the dealer, and even Goodyear is probably overpriced compared to a small local shop! There are some services you may have to have your dealer perform, but this is not one of them!

I get the service done at a local shop - $75 (I did the Oil with Mob1 myself). It’s worth it to get the invoice that says the work was done. Hard to “prove” you did the work - but definitely not worth taking to the dealer. Take it to a reputable local shop and say “do what’s in the book”

That’s only 5 over in some parts of Oklahoma…Hardly “way over,” for what that’s worth. Furthermore, I think the shop (dealer or otherwise) would have looked at the tires. Whether there was something visibly wrong, I cannot say, but if there was, it might have been caught.