Scam or not

Changing brake fluid every 2 years is a complete internet myth.
I’ve had cars over 10 years old with original brake fluid.
Brakes worked perfectly.

Brakes worked perfectly.

Isn’t this similar to saying:
“I know someone who chain smoked all his life and didn’t get cancer.”

“Changing brake fluid every 2 years is a complete internet myth.”

Then, apparently several auto makers have been hoodwinked by this, “internet myth”.
The factory maintenance schedule for several auto companies (all Japanese, I believe) specify a brake fluid change every 3 yrs/30k miles.

“Changing brake fluid every 2 years is a complete internet myth.
Brakes worked perfectly.”

I’ve been a smoker for 30 years. I don’t have lung cancer, my blood pressure is 117/74, and haven’t had a heart attack. The idea that cigarettes cause health problems is a myth as you can see.

I go to the dentist every 5 years and I haven’t had a cavity since I was 17. I’m 44 now. All those dentists that recommend a checkup every 6 months are just running a big scam and looking for work that doesn’t need to be done.

Man never landed on the moon, it was all done on a soundstage.

OK, the first two are true, the last one is a myth. But seriously, if the people who make the car suggest to replace the brake fluid every 30,000 miles, do it. If it doesn’t need it, why does old brake fluid get dark and have little bits of debris floating in it? Somewhere here there’s a thread about a woman with a 12 year old car that’s never had an oil change. Her car runs fine. Does that mean needing oil changes is a myth?

@UsedEconobox2UsedBMW

“Changing brake fluid every 2 years is a complete internet myth”

If you will read page 109, please.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omms/SMG201/pdf/SMG201_OM0003.pdf

Are you implying that the Japanese are lying to the people that buy their products?

If so, how many of those other maintenance items are totally unnecessary?

I’m sure if I felt like it, I could probably post many more service manuals from other manufacturers that also call for frequent brake fluid services.

But I won’t, because I don’t feel like fighting with you.

I don’t agree with you, but I’m not going to fight with you.

With all due respect to your opinion

@db4690 Since the advent of Traction Control and ABS, the brake fluid has become much more critical. Changing it every 3 years, or whatever the book calls for, is a good insurance to keep that system working properly. I now have one car with these features and will change the fluid accordingly. My other car has none of these and the manual does not mention anything about brake fluid changes and power steering fluid changes.

However, if a next brake job comes up, the fluid will be changed at the same time. As well steering fluid when work is required.

For every person who says their brakes functioned fine for 10 years with zero fluid changes, there will be an opposite number standing at a service counter somewhere moaning or cursing over the costs they now face due to failed calipers or an ABS unit.

My dad is a cheapskate, and not mechanically inclined. He’s been “sold” on oil changes, but AFAIK, that’s as far as he goes for preventative maintenance. (I dunno, his mechanic probably sells him an air filter or two somewhere.)

He keeps his cars to 120k mi or so…generally, whenever the transmission starts acting up. Usually his ABS is inop (functions as non-ABS), too.

I attempted to at least get him changing brake fluid and ATF, as “most bang for buck.” Now that he’s older, and I live closer, I come out in the spring to tend to various maintenance stuff, and I generally make an auto parts run while I’m at it.