Saw a strange thing on the back of an SUV today, need help identifying

No need to apologize for the description; your explanation is quite clear! From your description, it sounds like you might have seen a rear windshield wiper in action. Rear windshield wipers are common on SUVs and other larger vehicles, and they’re used to keep the rear window clean and improve visibility. The small rectangular section you saw might have been the wiper arm cover, which is designed to protect the wiper arm and mechanism when not in use.

While it might not be a common observation, what you described is typical behavior for rear windshield wipers. They activate automatically when you use the windshield wiper controls or when you engage reverse gear to help keep the rear window clear of dirt, rain, or snow. So, it’s not related to a rearview camera but serves a different purpose.

I hope this helps clarify what you saw! If you have any more questions or need further information, feel free to ask.

Show us a picture of one that fits the description in original post.

2 Likes

I understand the smart wiper, but the OP never said it was raining nor did he see a wiper arm moving…

That reply sounds a little suspicious from kehiyo2077…

1 Like

Yeah it wasn’t raining but the thing didn’t do much besides open up and then close so I really have no idea what the point of it was lol.

But I also thought since it was on a car, it must be at least mass produced to an extent, so someone should be able to know what it is for sure or at least point to a make and model of a car that has something similar. I still haven’t been able to Google and find anything definitive either.

1 Like