Safe load on Highlander bumper?

I plan to build a pair of loading ramps, about 5 ft. long, so I can roll a handtruck into the back of an 07 Highlander. I’d use the aluminum kit of end-pieces they sell, and add hardwood boards.

The maximum total weight should be around 80 lbs. Is this a safe amount to lean on the bumper? (I realize some of the weight would be carried by the ground.)

The owner’s manual should tell you the safe weight for the bumper. Look in the “towing” section under “tongue weight.” I’m sure it’s more than 80 pounds.

A Highlander I believe has an energy absorbing bumper and is not designed to put weight on vertically from above or use for towing alone. But, a weight of 80 lbs to just lean on while loading and not drive around where the dynamic forces could break something, may be OK for you to do. I did not say is, just may; cause I’d call the dealer and not us on this one.

I will ask the dealer. But again, some of the weight is absorbed by the ground, although I suppose it’s less as the handtruck moves up the ramps.

Can’t you build the ramps so the weight is on the floor area inside the hatch? Then you wouldn’t have to worry about it.

I can’t speak for anyone else,but if I plan on putting 80 lbs on something, I want to be sure it will hold much more. You could slip and fall on the ramp with your foot or knee and dynamically add another 100 lbs or so at the very least. So a call to the dealer will at least make re engineering suggestions worthwhile or not but will at least CYA,

I won’t be on the ramp myself, just pushing a handtruck from the ground.

This is what I’m planning to use.
http://highland.cequent-cpi.com/product/detail.asp?ID=0725100
I don’t know how I’d make it clear the bumper and rest inside the hatch.

Don’t you plan to be in front of the handtruck pulling it? So if you weigh 180, would the total weight not be up to 260 pounds? Plus perhaps 20 pounds for the ramps?

I had ramps like these for many many years for my pickups. You’re going to want to use a 2"x12"x10’ to minimize bending and wobbling and lessen the incline. And you’re going to want to run the load right up into the cargo area.

Honestly, if I get another truck I may get aluminum ramps. The 2x12 rempa are heavy.

"I won’t be on the ramp myself, just pushing a handtruck from the ground."
You must have pretty long arms:)
I would engineer the ramps in two sections so the last couple of feet is horizontal if you insist on these connectors. That would give you the same effect as a tailgate which these are meant for and you don’t have.
They will be heavier, but you they will support more weight w/o riding on a slippery bumper that may allow them to slide.
These can be arched to allow more clearance perhaps

My last suggestion…and you won’t like this; when I sold my PU for an SUV, I got a all aluminum Thule utility trailer with ramps which is rated for 2K lbs. I now keep all the “crap” out of the cars.

I know people that have and like these…

This is the first time I’ve seen composit ramps. I like the idea. Thanks.

Personally I think a light duty trailer is a great idea for the OP.

One problem is solved: I just tried sitting on the bumper, holding my feet up. No creaking or movement. So that’s 170 lbs of weight not shared by the ground.