S-10 Blazer fuel-type issue

Hello out there in the land of CarTalk!

I’ve been a long time casual listener, and have finally reached the stage of absolute desperation and now I turn here for help. I’m the not-so-proud owner of a 2000 S-10 Blazer, which has developed a problem as of late with the fuel system, (or at least it acts like the fuel system). When the car gets hot, either by sunlight, or by driving, (I say this because I deliver a paper route in the early morning hours, and it only exhibits this problem after two-and-a-half hours on the route, but will have the same problem in the day after as little as thirty minutes of driving). What it does is hesitate, and stall. Generally, only when starting from a dead stop. It seems to do this more often on a half-tank or less. We’ve tried the following: Fuel pump, (solid pressure there), fuel filter, MAF, O2 sensor, we even tried a used computer, (which didn’t work - at all), along with something to clean the injectors. We even replaced the “pick-up” assembly in the distributor, No luck. My mechanic wants to pull the plenum next, and check the injectors themselves, but obviously, this is getting to be time consuming, not to mention frustrating.

Any thoughts? Aside from buying some C4?

Thanks!

-Wyosage

Does the engine start up right after it stalls or do you have to wait for awhile before it starts and runs?

It could be an ignition control module problem. When a defective module heats up the engine stalls and won’t restart until the module cools off.

I can’t say for certain that the module is the problem until I hear how the engine restarts after it stalls.

A crankshaft position sensor can, also, become erratic when it gets too hot, and cause this problem. A hair dryer canst be used to heat the cps, and it’s resistance (or voltage) measured with a digital multimeter. If its ohms, or volts, make sudden changes, you’ve found the right critter.

Does the engine start up right after it stalls or do you have to wait for awhile before it starts and runs?

It could be an ignition control module problem. When a defective module heats up the engine stalls and won’t restart until the module cools off.

I can’t say for certain that the module is the problem until I hear how the engine restarts after it stalls.

Much of the time, it does start immediately,(about half of the time, it’ll start, stall, start, hesitate, stall, and then go). It just depends on how hot the thing is. As far as how it sounds upon restart, no difference in the way it sounds or runs, aside from the periodic hesitation.

OK… called the mechanic, he said that they already tried the control module, and the crankshaft sensor. Back to drawing board, eh?
Thanks again!
Wyosage

MAP Sensor!!!
~Michael (Dartman69)

hey i was just wondering if you ever figured out your problem. i have a 2000 blazer and am having the exact same problem. new plugs, wires, distrubutor, cap, and fuel filter and no luck at all.

My parents had a 2000 jimmy and there was a recall on the injectors back in like 2002-3 I believe. Also you can try adding “lucas fuel treatment too”. I run the stuff every 3-5 fills just to keep all the parts lubed. and no I am not promoting a product but it works compared to that other junk you can buy for the same price or higher