Rusty but Trusty (?) shifting weird

Hey guys. Need your help with my 95 Olds Cutlass Cierra. 168,000 miles Runs amazing. Looks like crap!:slight_smile: Automatic. Only has problem shifting into 2nd when cold or when accelerating with “enthusiasm”. Then it’s like the engine is revving but doesn’t want to shift into the next gear. If I back off the gas it will slip into gear & everything is fine . If I warm the car up first or accelerate very slowly, it shifts smoothly. Our mechanic has checked it out & couldn’t find anything wrong with the transmission. Times are tough. Husband lost his job. We live in Northern MI (Fairview, which despite it’s lovely name is currently the armpit of the world economically speaking; bet you’ve never been here :)) So I gotta keep by “Ugly Betty” running. Help me out & you’re invited for the best venison gourmet dinner ever. May not have a butt load of $$, but we know how to eat well! LOVE CAR TALK!!!

A few answers will help us help you with Rusty Trusty. Does this have the 2.2 Liter I4 or the 3.1 Liter V6? Does it have the 3T40 three speed automatic or the 4T60-E four speed overdrive automatic? Has the transmission been serviced recently – Service = pan drop, pan clean, filter change, and fluid refill? Was any suspicious debris found at that service?

Help us helps you.

It has the 3.1 Liter V6; 4 spd overdrive automatic. The pan was dropped, filter changed & fluid refilled. No suspicious debris found; no issues with the transmission. Our mechanic told us to drive it for awhile & the shifting problem should work itself out.

this is a question for transman. How some ever, mechanical problems hardly ever fix themselves.

Since this transmission is electronically shifted, the PCM should be scanned to see if the 1-2 shift is being commanded when the problem happens. Since the Check Engine Light is not ON, the scan might chance on a pending DTC code that has not tripped the CEL. Here is where access to a qualified and equiped transmission technician can get to the bottom of the problem.

Hope this helps.