Run flat tires on BMW

I have only 30k and I have to replace these tires–does that seem unusual?

For high performance tires, that’s reasonable. High performance tires are not designed to give good wear. They are designed to grip well - and that is done by sacrificing wear.

The fact that they are RunFlat’s has nothing to do with their wear or many other performance characteristics. The thing gives them the ability to operate - albeit for a short time - without inflation pressure can be applied to any type of low profile tire - and the only sacrifice needed to some degree of ride quality.

30k for performance tires is pretty usual. You should see the reaction that Avalon drivers have when theirs wear out! As for run-flats, google ‘BMW run flat tires’, there’s lots to be seen, even an angry web site devoted to them.

Some “run flat” tires get even less mileage. My 2004 GMC Envoy came equipped with run flat tires that had to be replaced at 16K.

Perfectly normal. I too have high perfocmance tires and thet’s typically what I get.

By the way, it isn;t because they run-flat tires, which use firmer sidewalls, it’s because BMW uses high performance tires, which use a softer tread compound.

Nope, seems perfectly normal.

My Porsche Boxster goes through rear performance tires every 10k to 15k miles.

BC.

With careful tire selection you definitely can get better tread life.

I use ultra high performance all-seasons and manage between 40k-50k with moderate driving on turbo Subaru’s. A nice tire is the Bridgestone RE960 if only encounter snow on limited occasions.

With run-flats, your choice of tires will be limited and expensive…

thanks all…just one of the many prices you pay for the privilege of owning a beener I guess…that’s why I am not going to get another one when the lease runs out.l

It’s more of a run-flat tire issue than a BMW issue. People with run-flats from all manufacturers are regretting this feature.

Yep, you can find them on the Mini, Odyssey, Siena, upcoming Rav4, and I’m sure there’s others. One issue that has shown up a bit more on BMWs is tire and wheel damage from using those low profile tires.

I think this has more to do with their being low profile tires than their run-flat properties.

Your wear is normal, as others have noted.

I own 3 BMWs and have several acquaintances who also own BMWs. The consensus seems to be - dump the run-flats, buy towing insurance, and carry a cell phone.

Modern high quality tires very rarely get flats. My cars routinely run 100k miles between flats. Wish the windshields fared so well.

Hi Manolito,

Having questions about my runflats too. I would like to get rid of them and get a Michelin or something. What is best? I have a 2020 X3 AWD. You said they work out well. I was discouraged in getting regular tires from a few people. They said the most BMW owners don’t get rid of the fun flats.

My car has 18k on it and I have already replace the right side because of a nail. I had to have it towed to dealer anyway because they did not want damage to car.

I was also told that I need to get an alignment, rotate,

I was also told to replace all 4 now because the differences in tread will damage the AWD.

What do I do? Everyone tells me to make my own decision. I know enough to be dangerous. LOL. What the heck do I do?

Many others have replaced run flats with regular tires. The run flat provides a cushion to drive on until you can get to a safe place to deal with the tire. When I buy new tires I look online for tire comparison tests in the type of tires I want. I usually buy grand touring all season tires, and I look for those comparison tests. I then make sure that the tires I choose are available in my size then buy them. I buy online and have them sent to my repair shop and they mount, balance, and align them. Check the tread wear with a wear gauge. They are a couple bucks at a car parts store. New tread is about 10/32” and they should be replaced around 3/32” or 4/32”. If you never rotated your tires they might be very different front to back. You could have the new tires shaved to match the older less worn tires but you should probably replace them all and rotate the tires at every oil change. I did that on my 2017 Accord and they still had plenty of tread left at 52,000 miles.

When a friend of mine had to replace the tires on his C7 Vette, he opted not to get the run-flats. He swears that the non run-flats have superior handling. And based on my research, that seems to be the consensus. And they were expensive tires - $350 (each for rears) and $275 (each for the fronts).

Thnk you. That makes more sense to me now.

Because this is stat on the existing tires.

All Bridgestone R19 run flats.
Front driver @ 4/32, front driver @ 7/32 (replaced this already)
Backs both at 5-6/32

And another issue for me. I was told the wear on the front right is indicative of an out of alignment $298 @ BMW and this uneven wear will damage my AWD.

I am taking a road trip in a few days and feel like it might be a good idea to get 4 new tires, either run flat or regular.

your feedback is helpful. any thoughts?

Very likely

Yes, and–in fact–I’m quite sure that your Owner’s Manual has some verbiage on that issue. Have you read the relevant section of the manual?

That is what I would do. When I replace my Bridgestone RFTs, I plan to buy a set of Michelin Cross Climate tires. You might want to take a look at these highly-rated NON-RFTs, and I also suggest that you buy a spare tire kit from Modern Spare.

Thank you,

I am leaning towards a regular tire. With inflation these tires have gotten expensive. I will probably buy the insurance too. since, i had such bad luck when my car was new and the dealership would not pro rate. etc.

any thoughts?

Plus now, I am hearing that my AWD will be damaged if I keep these uneven treads.

Current tire reads:
front driver @ 4/32 and passenger 7/32 (new replaced tire)
backs 5-6 /32

Thank you for your input.

1 Like

no, will look now.