Run flat tires on BMW

thank you. Appreciate it. certainly, want to maintain well.

1 Like

I always get a 4 wheel dynamic alignment when I get new tires. Also, you don’t need to get the work done at the dealership. I use an independent shop that has all the tools, including the dynamic alignment tool.

3 Likes

what is the benefit of getting service from independent shop?

Do these tires have NHTSA tire ratings?

NHTSA doesn’t rate tires DOT does.

1 Like

Just to be clear, ALL passenger car tires have to have UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) ratings - except for winter tires. That includes RunFlat tires.

And it’s the tire manufacturers who do the testing (sort of), but NHTSA does sample test to verify the rating. I go into more detail here:

Barry’s Tire Tech (barrystiretech.com)

4 Likes

Service often costs less than at a dealer shop. The shop I use also guarantees their work. If they say something is wrong and it isn’t, they will do the real fix with free labor.

1 Like

Whoops! Thanks for the correction.

Do the users of run-flat tires get the UTQG-rated wear out of them?

None gets avg tire life as none is average.

Some do and some don’t . Just like all tires .

2 Likes

No better and no worse than regular tires.

Oh and the rating is a comparison, not a mileage.

2 Likes

Cheaper for one. Many independents are far more knowledgeable about cars then the dealers. I know one independent who was a GM and then Nissan master mechanic. Started his own shop after 20 years of working for dealers. He is by far thee most knowledgeable mechanic I’ve ever met. Most dealers have only 1 or 2 master mechanics. So most of the time you take it to one it’s being worked on by someone who’s not that experienced.

2 Likes

Agree
 and an indie shop can do more than just follow the specs supplied by the manufacturer.

That is important if you have a driving condition causing you problems. From the manufacturer, the car is adjusted as a compromise for every condition. If you do nothing but highway miles, abnormal tire wear many appear. Alignments slightly out of specification may be better for you.

Or modified cars that require special parts or specs to align the car properly.

It includes a 3-digit number, meant to indicate mileage, right? I bought tires with a 540 rating, noticed the el-cheapos were as low as 100.

New vettes with carbon wheels and run flat tires are a new issue. Sidewalls are so stiff dealers can’t seat bead on rims well. And there aren’t proper size non rft tires that will fit. Ha, $12,000 wheels that dealers won’t work on. Too delicate.

Hypothetically you will get 5.4 times more mileage than the cheap tires rated at 100.

1 Like

I agree with you