Rubbing compound mistake

Hello everyone. I own a 2010 onyx black GMC Sierra. I overused rubbing compound #7 on a scratch and now have a dull spot that is visible. I am desparate for advice on what can be purchased to repair this. I’ve learned a valuable lesson.

If it were me I’d take it to a good body shop for their opinion. It might be necessary to put an additional clear coat over that panel.

I agree with texases.
Most likely, you took off the top coat of “clear coat” paint.
See what a good body shop has to say.

As usual, I agree with Texases and VDC. I wanted to add that a good bodyshop will be able to look at it and if you did not rub through the clearcoat they’ll be able to polish the spot in 5 minutes for a nominal fee. I’ve had a shop polish a spot on a vehicle of mine before we even finished talking. They didn’t even bother to charge me.

2010 onyx black GMC Sierra

Ouch. One of the most beautiful finishes when pristine but shows imperfections like no other.

I overused rubbing compound #7 on a scratch and now have a dull spot that is visible.

Well, that was gonna happen whether you used it properly or not. It’s a coarse compound and designed to do what it did. The larger question is, did you burn through the clearcoat?

Normally, you’d follow up with ever finer grades of polishing compounds to restore the finish after using the rubbing compound to remove the imperfection. BTW- there are other products out there to cover scratches that don’t require so much destruction in the process.

I’ve learned a valuable lesson.
I am desparate for advice on what can be purchased to repair this.

If that’s true, you should stop immediately, pray you didn’t burn through the clear coat and seek professional advice. Do not attempt to finish the repair yourself. It’ll be too easy to do more damage than good. This is one of the hardest finishes to do right and is highly noticeable if not done right. Stop immediately and go see a professional detailer…

I agree with all the other advice stated here. It’s time to get professional help.

Thanks to all. I don’t know how to tell if I burned through past the clear coat. How can I tell? Great advice in these posts. I am going to find a good body shop. All the best from ‘westernPA’, literally and geographically.

The bodyshop guy ahould be able to tell.