Routine maintenance

Hi!

I need your help. I have 2006 Saab 9-2X. I have put almost 37,000 miles on it now and due to the economy I have not had enough money to do the 30,000 mile routine maintenance on it.

My question is; I cannot afford to do the entire routine scheduled maintenance on it but can afford to have some stuff done. What would you suggest that I have done right away on it? I have had all the previous routine services done and I always have the oil changed and the tires rotated when I am supposed to. I do not drive much because I work from home…

Thank you so much.

CJ

You can generally do the items “ala carte” if you need to. I prefer to get the service done at one time, due to the down time at the mechanic being lessened that way.

I truly don’t think that a one-price 30K service really saves you a significant amount of money, so doing it “ala carte” should not cost substantially more, if at all.

Is this the dealer recommended 30k service or the 30k service from the Owner’s Manual?

The dealer tends to add services that are above and beyond recommended in the Owner’s Manual (i.e. profit generators). My preferences would be to get a transmission pan drop and filter change (not a flush)and change the coolant but it isn’t critical. I’ll have these services done on my wife’s 2006 Sienna in the spring.

Ed B.

You’ll get more answers if you give us the list of maintenance items from the manual. Few of us have a Saab manual sitting around to consult.

37k is not that much. A 30k service is mostly checking.
Always keep your oil change schedule but this time an air filter and fuel filter would be in order.
Check the condition of ; belts, hoses, tires, transmission fluid, ETC.

This is your wake up call to maintain a repair savings account. This kind of stash can be for everything from house shingles and water heater to cars, elecrtonics, and appliances.

The Saab 92-X is nicknamed the “Saabaru”, because it is actually a Subaru Impreza (WRX??) with different cosmetic trim. Thus, anyone familiar with Subaru maintenance schedules will know what the maintenance schedule is for this car.

That being said, the most important thing to bear in mind is that failure to do all of the required items on the 30k maintenance list will make it difficult to use the Powertrain Warranty in case of a mechanical problem. In other words, by “saving” a few hundred $$, you may be exposing yourself to a few thousand $$ in non-covered repairs in the event of a breakdown.

How about borrowing the money for the full 30k maintenance from a family member who is willing to allow you several months to pay it back? That way, you can keep the car in decent shape and maintain your warranty coverage.

If you can’t do that, then at least have the oil changed, the tires rotated, and the fuel filter changed. You can change the air filter yourself. Be sure to check the level of the differential fluid and the trans fluid. Then, when you get the money, have the coolant, the brake fluid, and the transmission fluid changed.