Car Running Rough In Morning

Hi,

I have a 1988 Saab 900 (non-turbo), and have noticed that after the car has been parked for a while (a few hours / overnight), it tends to idle rough and stall out when I put it into gear. For the fist few minutes of driving after that, it just seems sluggish.

It seems to be OK once it’s warmed up and I’ve driven it for a bit. Any ideas about what I should look for first?

Could be a fuel pump. Easy enough to have checked.

Sounds like it could be a problem with the fast idle warm up. Maybe idle air control or oxygen sensors.

Putting it in gear and stall out is a key point. Have you kept up with routine maintenance such as plugs, wires and filters?

I had the same problem earlier this year. Mine turned out to be bad gas the first cylinder was misfiring. When I would start it cold I would give it gas and it wouldnt go anywhere and right as the engine was about to flood and stall it would go but sluggishly. But again my car sat for a year. Things to check would be, plugs, wires, ignition coils, fuel injectors, fuel pressure test, and compression test. If compression is low have them do a cylinder leakdown test. But it for sure sounds like a misfire.

Good luck let us know how it turns out.