Rough Idle

I have a 97 Toyota Camry (I4, 67K miles) which has a rough idle when in drive at a stop, when accelerating from a stop and when backing up. It also doesn’t seem as peppy either on the hilly terrain. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input

Is it fuel injected? Sounds a little like my VW - at 80,000 miles I had to switch to Chevron or buy $20 a can injector cleaner for about 10,000 miles.

First you should have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

I would also suggest that you get all your maintenance up to date. If the air or fuel filters need cleaning, now is the time along with plugs and wires.

I took the car to the dealer where they read the codes. Basically cylinder three was misfiring because the wrong spark plugs were installed (they should have been dual resistor instead of single resistor type) and this caused arcing back through the wire. I had the plugs and wires replaced as well as the fuel filter changed (it was original) all for $440. I should have taken Meehan’s advice and obtained the codes for free and performed the work myself. I would have saved about $270. Thanks for the help guys.