Rotor tiller

Besides wes, as pointed out on that other forum, Craftsman isn’t what it used to be.

for cq, is a rotor tiller made from automotive brake rotors?

Even though there are doubters out there regarding the Craftsman rototiller, I still would get into my car - of which I change the oil every 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first - and aim my regularly checked and properly inflated tires toward the Sears store while not tailgating or texting and ultimately would check out the Craftsman rototiller and possibly buy it.

I had a front tine tiller, it was a Bolens (mtd, Troy-bilt). it was really nice, started first pull everytime for three years. I sold it for 100 bucks, when I was real sick a few years ago, but it was a handful any way…

it was like the one pictured, but had a wheel thet folded out in front and it kinda acted liked a rear tine tiller.

I m afraid that a front tine tiller is beyond the capacity of my connective tissue these days.

i tried that joe (see earlier post)…, out of stock…

My front tine tiller was a handful also, and I was under 30 when I owned it. We bought a Troy-Bilt Pony 20 years ago and it still works great. The B&S 5-horse engine is extremely strong; never had to have it repaired, just maintenance (new spark plug every other year, oil change and new air filter once a month during the summer growing season (June thru middle of September, if we’re lucky). I’m in my 60s now and this tiller is still a pleasure to use. I would never go back to a front tine model.

I know it is not the same company now, but their website lists a Pony model that seems to be very similar to mine. The engine is listed by size rather than horsepower but they still use a B&S engine. You might want to check them out.

Joe, you do realize that Sears doesn’t make anything. They just buy from other manufacturers. The riding mowers are made by MTD or Husk., depending on the model. I suspect the tillers are largely MTD also but you have to check the code on them to see for sure. Someone here posted a listing of the various manufacturer codes a while back. The other problem is it can be hard to get parts unless you go to Sears or you can cross reference to the true manufacturer and the best fit model number. Engines are no problem but I don’t expect Sears to be around a whole lot longer.

thanks cliff, they only had the “super bronco” model at Lowes. the pony looks more like what I would want…

1100 bucks…, there goes my tummy again…

…and joe. it s ok. Carolyn has graciously allowed the rotor tiller conversation. they have engines and gears after all…

we just can t get into gardening too much, otherwise I would mention that I spent the day in my yard prepping my existing beds with my little electric tiller and hated, I mean trusty, shovel.

I m not breaking anymore new ground with a shovel tho. the shovel is not too bad for previously worked soil, but breaking ground is really tough on the old sciatic nerve

I m gonna buy the darned tiller…

i d plant a little patch of Mexican tomatoes, but the tomatoe chopper flies over here…

Joe guy ,that looks about like mine , after putting gas in it after the winter it starts on the first or second pull and has plenty of power OHV and cost under 300 $ .

Hire a landscaping company to do it. All our plants I just dig a hole big enough for the plant along the 6 ft privacy fence, put in cages or lattice, had bumper crops so far, no tilling necessary.

@kmccune wrote -

Joe guy ,that looks about like mine , after putting gas in it after the winter it starts on the first or second pull and has plenty of power OHV and cost under 300 $ .

After a long break in usage, mine always starts on the first or second pull also. It’s built solidly and has been very dependable. They aren’t very complicated machines. Anyone should be able to tell if a rototiller is well built by just looking at it.

And to Bing, I know that Sears is not a manufacturer. I assume their tools have to meet a certain quality level before they will put the Craftsman nameplate on it.

And wesw, I know you tried Sears and they were out of stock but that doesn’t mean you can’t still buy one from them. The Craftsman brand is also sold at Orchard Supply and Kmart (does Kmart still exist?) and some other stores. Anyway, I’m not saying that Craftsman is better than any other brand. I’m just sharing my experience and it has been good.

@Joe_Guy wrote

I assume their tools have to meet a certain quality level before they will put the Craftsman nameplate on it.
That may have been true before the bean counters became the owners of Sears. It’s not the same store anymore. How old is your tiller Joe? Does it say “Made in USA” on it anywhere?

I bought my rototiller in the early 90’s. I don’t know if it says on it where it was made. I won’t go look at it now but I will tomorrow. It’s very likely that parts of it were not made in the country in which it was assembled.

The one I saw at Sears awhile back looked nice but I didn’t take the time to inspect things like the welds and the overall quality of the parts.

I’m guessing a lot of the parts of any rototiller are probably made in China nowadays. That doesn’t guarantee a bad product but it isn’t encouraging either.

@Joe_Guy, if you bought it in the early '90s it’s not the same tiller as they are putting out today. As with most foreign made goods, sellers, including Sears, haven’t lowered their prices when they lowered the quality.

I looked at the big box stores when I was shopping. Then I went into a local Lawn and Garden place, same place I bought my leaf blower and chainsaw. Negotiated with the owner for a price that actually was on par with the box store plus they assembled it, added oil and fired it up to make sure everything was A-OK. They would have delivered it too but I had my van so we loaded it in and off I went.

Wanted the Honda engine and paid a bit more for that luxury.

Hmm, can’t attach file to existing post…

This thread reminded me of the Wheel Horse tillers that I was familiar with 50 years ago

I guess when someone developes a good product and establishes a good reputation for quality a lager company will buy them out to sell junk behind the old logo.

If you want a tiller that is built like the old Troy tillers, look at DR tillers. They are sold mail order only, just like Troy used to be. You can order them over the internet now, but they only sell direct, never through a middle man.

I ll check that out…

Yes, wheel horse was one tough hombre. Just like a small tractor. Big wheels cast iron axles, wisconsin engines, and heavy cast iron transmissions. No comparison. But alas, most of us didn’t need that for cutting grass. Now we’ve gone too far the other way.