Road Trip Runaway Car

I think having a dog along if you camp in your car is good protection. The presence of a dog will often frighten away a predator. However, it has to be the right dog. The dog I have now snores and would want to sleep right on top of me.

If doing lots of driving, look at the VW Passat Tdi wagon. Even though diesel costs a little more, the efficient motor will save you in the long run. They are a little hard to find since current owners don’t want to give them up.

I think pick up truck is bad idea. My 2 cents while listening and reading all the above comments. The gas savings from a safe car that gets 32 - 40 plus MPG will afford you a room at an economic motel like Comfort Inns with continental breakfast especially for inclimate weather when not tent camping. Join the rewards program and earn points for free nights. Pistol is good - purchase it and get permit before leaving Washington. You won’t be able to purchase pistol in any other state! Small terrior dog. Dog can stay in carrier in car while you are at motel. Tent, sleeping bag and good air matress. Camp KOA, Good Sam and state and national parks. Verizon Hotspot and Laptop will keep you in touch where ever you can receive Verizon. Gives you on line banking and email. Get a car company to sponsor your trip in exchange for weekly updates. Ford Focus or Volkswagen come to mind. Chattanooga has a new Volkswagen plant - they could fly you in to pick up your car at the plant! Verizon sponsor. Comfort Inns sponsor. Good luck.

I have to give my two cents. I owed Toyota Tacoma’s for over 20 years. I would NOT recommend this vehicle for what this woman is planning. Mine both had caps. They are fun to drive, however, the back easily leaks in heavy rains. It is inconvenient for storing stuff and having accessibility. I agree with the above comment regarding: 1) not easily driven off in case of emergency, 2) not secure, both for supplies
and for sleeping at night, and 3) you wouldn’t have an option of sleeping in the cab because of size restrictions. In my humble, yet experienced opinion, a pick up truck in the Tacoma size, although mechanically sound and dependable, would not be the proper vehicle for this adventure. Car talk guys… you are both awesome, and usually on the mark. But this time, it’s my opinion, that you sadly missed the mark and led this woman astray. Hope you can make amends to her somehow. Love your show, and love you guys. No hard feelings, I hope!! Best to you.

My husband and I spent six weeks traveling throughout the US and Canada with a Volvo station wagon. We were tent camping, but also discovered that a twin futon mattress fits perfectly into the back with the back seats down and sleeps two snugly, but fairly comfortably (and there is still room for a dog to sleep in the front seat.

Many decades ago I camped for 8 months in a VW van across US & Canada. It was really a great time. It will be easier today. It was a factory outfitted camper. It had a bed for 2, a sink/icebox/stove, a small bug screened pop-up top, and sat 5 around a folding table. It is wise to have adequate comforts, as the fun factor is relative to a good nights sleep, a place to sit and read, a dry bed, your own food prep, etc. I now own the equivalent vehicle, without the factory interior, which is perfect for a camper. A '98 Toyota Sienna Minivan. Bought for $5000 w 100,000 miles from original owner soccer Mom. Perfect shape, real toyota success story mechanically. 25MPG highway. Remove all seats but front 2. Sleep on the padded floor w inflatable matress or yoga mat, or use a PVC folding table top placed on two storage boxes for a bed. These used minivans loose serious resale value because soccer moms don’t want an old vehicle, and the work community is not using them for painting, carpentry, etc, although they are fine for that. One very important consideration when living in a camper is personal security. In a minivan, you can pull over anywhere, and no one thinks you are a trouble maker. If you’re in a pickup, they think you may be up to no good. You can camp on a city street in a minivan, and no one will notice you, windows are black. Really comfortable front seals, killer air and heat both front and back, lights and great speakers all over the interior, doors everywhere, roof rack, quiet to drive, fast, good milage. Drive one at Carmax… remember, all the amenities built for a mom & kids are perfect for a camper, including huge carrying capacity. PS Mom’s take care of their Minivans, look at a used 98 sienna… HAVE A BIG FAT FUN TIME… We’re all with you…

Guys, this was an old call. God knows when that woman actually called, but I remember that I heard this exact caller years ago on Car Talk. So there is no need in wasting energy and time anserwering a problem that doesn’t exist. It’s more interesting to find out what she finally ended up buying and how her trip was.

I agree with you and the boys didn’t have it on this one. The Suburu Forester would be perfect for you.
One thing to consider, though, is that the Southern US is hot and has mosquitos. You will need a fan and either screens or a mosquito net to sleep in your car. :slight_smile:

Go For It! PU with topper OK; But to sleep in topper you have to move “gear” often to cab & if raining you get wet getting into topper. Also toppers are easy to break into; had it happen at river take out while running the river. :frowning:

i suggest a Cry/dodge Mini van. I camp in mine often. i/one can fit a cot ( with seats out)in the back. i have a Large cot! You have storage under the cot and when you stop you are home; just park and go to back. No moving stuff or getting out in the weather. Add some heavy window tint or curtains in back and you have privacy.

Hi Lizzy. Good for you and hope you have the time of your life. I’ve toured around the country on motorcycle, pickup with topper and, most recently, an '08 Outback with my girlfriend. The most convenient was the pickup with the topper. I had a slider in both the cab and the topper. Had the topper built with side windows that opened out then installed removable screens. I had an extended cab pickup so valuables were easy to conceal within the cab and kept the bed of the pickup open for sleeping…Used hammock, inflatable mattress and cot at various times all with their own benefits. The Outback required a fair amount of repacking on a daily basis. If you are concerned with security you might consider a canine companion. I’ve had a great time traveling with mine.

Road Trip!! Yeah!! Am a solo-travel veteran (age 59) of about 20 x-country road trips. North/south, east/west, 4 seasons. Make sure you can stretch out comfortably. No compromise. Package of ‘wet wipes’, because sometimes you have to go bare in the woods, or sagebrush. A small electric heater for use at campgrounds. It can get cold in the desert at night. Real Cold. Always carry at least 1 gallon of water. Drink lots of water in desert. Screens and fan for South. 1 pot, backpackers butane stove, coffee press, small basin is my kitchen. Delorme State Atlases are invaluable. Always have a State highway map for each State. Don’t always believe a GPS. Carry at least 1 can of tire inflator; a set of common tools; duct tape, tire plugging kit. I now carry a MIFI (hotspot) AT&T/Verizon have national coverage. Most people are a joy! Trust your gut. Have only had 2 ‘threatening’ situations in all my travels. Drive away, fast! They’ll get out of the way. Drove pickup w/top many years. Like my Chev Suburban better because can drive away without going outside. Read “Blue HIghways”, William Least Heat Moon; and “Travels With Charlie”, Steinbeck for some good xcountry tips. After two years I ended my ‘run away’ in Wyoming. Safe driving! Good karma, always.

Comments are also being left at http://www.cartalk.com/content/1210-mothership-has-landed#show-tabs. A woman who travels alone should have her personal safety in mind in chosing a vehicle. A mini van is a great way to go as you are enclosed inside the vehicle, and if danger presents itself, you can drive away, or run over anyone trying to cause harm. I am an older woman (69, widow) who travels in a minivan. I have outfitted it to be comfortable and convenient. Most importantly it is one of the safer modes of travel when a woman is alone. I have made curtains that allow for complete privacy. The back seats have been removed and the cot I made is tall enough for storing in plastic totes underneath. I have folding porta potty from Campmor if needed during the night. Safe inside. The suggestion of a pickup with a cap made me cringe. A woman would have to leave the back of the truck to get to the driver’s seat if in harm’s way. I carry wasp spray for protection, as a well aimed shot can disable an attacker. Many states do not honor gun permits from other states, and one could find themselves in legal trouble for carrying a pistol. In NY it is a mandatory 1 yr. in jail. This is a good site to check out: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf. A wonderful Yahoo group for women who travel alone is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Van-Incidentals2/. The members share ideas, safety tips, places to see, things to do, become friends and visit one another as they travel. Take it from someone who has traveled alone, a van is an excellent, inexpensive, safe mode. Happy trails to all who seek the road less traveled.
pa_woodswoman

Important! Remember to change your oil/oil filter at least every 3,000 miles on a long distance trip like you are planning. There are nationally familiar oil change places across the country. Make sure they change the air filter at the same time. Check air pressure in tires daily. Carry a small air pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter port because it can be difficult to find a working air pump; at least 1 quart of motor oil; hand-held spotlight. Check gas mileage at each fill-up. A loss of mileage may indicate something is starting to go wrong. Double seal all food and other scented items (toothpaste, deodorant, soaps, etc.). If animals can smell it they will try to get it. (bears, chipmunks being the worst) even inside your vehicle. I carry an engine code reader. These are available at auto parts store. $125-150 bucks buys a good one. Plugging into the port in your car gives codes so that you know what is wrong with your engine before you take it to a mechanic.

Not sure if it’s been suggested, but a Honda Element is a great little “home.” the back seats flip up individually or you can remove one altogether. Your bed (folded-down seats) is elevated so you’re not crawling around on a mattress on the floor. At 5’ you’ll be able to pretty much stand up to get dressed, etc. I have a Luggable Loo I got at Sports Chalet that you can get (discreetly disposable) liners for so you never have to leave your vehicle at night & there is plenty of room for it with the extra floor space. There is a large moon roof for ventilation. A dog is a wonderful heat source at night & there’s floor space so doen’t have to sleep ON you.
I think the best feature of my Element is that I can sleep in it with some comforts of home. This year I bought a narrow air mattress to make the surface more comfy as I suggest you do. I haven’t camped in mine for more than a weekend. But for your adventure I think it’s ideal.
This year I will make removable curtains though I believe you can buy aftermarket ones. There’s also an aftermarket poptop available, but I think way too pricy. You can look this stuff up.
Mileage, at best, on the road I’ve gotten 25mpg.
The best suggestion I have is to go look at some, keeping in mind the features I mentioned.
Sounds like a blast in store for you! I hope one day to do the same.

I would also suggest a Honda Element. I love mine and have taken it camping several times. I was able to purchase mine used (2005 model in 2009) for a price close to what Libby said she had set aside. I’d like to add that I car shopped for over a year before deciding on an Element. I drove all the newer models that others listed too. Many of them are great cars, but the Element won out for my particular needs. As always, do your homework. Check out the NADA prices on used cars and, if you’re comparing models, also check with your insurance carrier. I liked the HHRs, but found that a then new (2009) model was more expensive to insure than a 2005 Element as it had worse IIHS ratings. I have the AWD version, but I don’t think it’s necessary and you might get better mpg without. Regardless, you’ll get good ground clearance with either model, which helps on rough roads. Maintenance has been inexpensive l and I appreciate the quality of the car. The interior is minimal and easy to clean. Just take a small dustpan/whisk and your housekeeping is done. As another comment stated, I get about 24/25 mpg, highways. Both back seats flip up to stow against the car walls or can be removed. I cannot imagine sleeping on them if they were folded down flat, as there is a distinct lump where the top/bottom of the cushion meet. However, I secure the seats up (or take them both out) and take two inexpensive army sleeping mats, duct taped together and place those on the floor of the car and leave them there. They take up no room and you can stack other gear on top with complete stability. They offer additional cushioning and insulation. I then use a good quality Therm-a-rest, plus sleeping bag and sleep on that. I normally tuck my other gear in other large containers, secured with a $10 cargo net while traveling. Since you have a lot of height and can stack things pretty high, the cargo net helps in case of an emergency stop. At night or when camping with a tent, I use the cargo net suspended from the ceiling to store gear. I am 5’9" and have plenty of room to get dressed and move around when in the back and if you need to bail out of a camping spot quickly, there is no console. Just step into the front seat and go. I have put a dark window tint film on the moonroof to limit morning sun and if the weather is really hot, I would suggest a small battery-operated fan for the back at night. As I single woman, I feel very comfortable with its security when sleeping. You can crack all the windows, open the moonroof and get good ventilation without having all the windows completely open. The only drawback is whether a shorter person would find it a comfortable car to drive. I hope Libby finds what she’s looking for in her next car and has a safe adventure on the road!

I’m on my second Toyota Tacoma, and I’ve slept in the back in a lot of places, including (don’t tell my ex-husband) off the side of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. I don’t see that sleeping in the back of a truck is that much more unsafe than sleeping in a tent.

That not withstanding, if Libby does look at trucks, I’d make a couple of suggestions. Since this is going to be an extended road trip, she might want to look into an extended cab. Not necessarily a full-on crew cab - IMO those eat up too much mileage - but it gets tedious having to move stuff in and out of the bed of the truck when you want to sleep, so having some storage space behind the seats in the cab can make life more pleasant. Also, should this trip extend into the colder months, she’ll want some good insulation under her sleeping bag. I spent a night in New Mexico a couple autumns ago where it got down to 17 (long story), and I could feel the cold seeping up through the metal bed. At the time (part of the long story), all I had were the bed liner and a twin bed sized memory foam, which is generally quite comfy, but not sufficient to keep that kind of cold out.

I know the perfect vehicle for Libby’s Odyssey – a Toyota Rav4 - I used to own one and the front seats (passenger and driver) fold completely flat. Once in a while, I slept in the car and found it comfortable. I think the model year was 1999. She could purchase a used one for much less than her 10,000 budget AND Toyota’s are incredibly reliable. I gave mine to a nephew and it has over 250,000 miles on it now with no problems.

I found an interesting article called “Ten Cars You Can Live in After Your Home is Repossessed” at http://jalopnik.com/5066062/ten-cars-you-can-live-in-after-your-home-is-repossessed

Repurposing the information for a roadtrip, I like the Mazda5. It’s the right size, the right price, has plenty of availability on the used car market, and gets good gas mileage. Add to that the fold-flat seats, and I think it’s a winner for getting good shut-eye during Libby’s get-away.

I agree with the recommendation that a Honda CRV would be a good option. It’s roomy, but still gets decent mileage, has higher clearance for any rough roads. AND, one feature that I guess people (Tom/Ray) aren’t aware of is that if you remove the head rest from the front seat, it folds down in combination with adjusting the rear seat to form a bed. It’s a great option because it doesn’t require you to move everything out of the back when you want to sleep.

As a ‘woman of a certain age’ who has spent much of the past 30 years driving around the country camping in various vehicles, and parking in many a questionable place, I listened with great interest to your caller named Libby from Seattle who wants to sell everything and hit the road. I must say however that I have to respectfully disagree with the suggestion that she buy a small pickup for this adventure. A romantic notion, but not very safe. One of the key safety features I look for in a camping vehicle is the ability to leap from my sleeping area into the driver’s seat and drive away at a moment’s notice if things are getting wacky or scary - a small pickup does not permit this maneuver if you are sleeping in the back. But a Subaru wagon is perfect for this, as are many of the small minivans. To facilitate a quick escape, I always park so that I have a clear path forward to the road and I’m in a place where my vehicle can’t easily be blocked in. I also lock all the doors after I get inside for the night and put the key in the ignition so I don’t have to fumble for it in the dark. I then throw a jacket over the steering column so the key itself doesn’t temp carjackers.

For added safety I also sleep with a flashlight and a large can of bear spray next to me - you can disorient an intruder with a bright light in his eyes giving you a few moments to fully awaken and decide whether to use pepper spray or drive like crazy. The last safety feature that I highly recommend for women alone on the road is a faithful canine companion. A small dog with a loud bark alarm is good. A big dog who is happy to tear the arms off any wack-job who disturbs your peace is even better.

By taking just a few simple precautions, I trust that Libby will have fun, fabulous and safe adventures on the road! Can’t wait to read the blog!

• Kelly in Jackson, WY