Road repair, cement reclaiming

Vermont DOT have been repairing a very long overdue road for last 2 months. This road is ~ 6 miles long. They’re doing something called “cement reclaiming” before they actually pave the road. After adding and spreading dirt, they spread/add dry cement to the dirt then spray the entire road with water several times a day. This goop splashes all over our cars and we cannot get it off no matter how many times we wash our vehicles. Somehow this must be a potential havoc raiser to the undersides and brakes, tie rods, etc. of all the vehicles driving on this road. Am I right about this and what can we do?

Since you live in Vermont, what you should really be worried about is road salt:

That is what will really destroy your car. Unfortunately, the cement goop is a cosmetic nightmare because you can’t wash it off. But the salt is your real “silent” killer.

Since road salt will kill your car before the cement goop will, you can now stop worrying about the cement. {:frowning:

I would suggest researching the Tort Claims Act, as it might pertain to Vermont law.
Most states have a requirement that you cannot sue for damages unless you first notify them via a sometimes arcane process, and this would be outlined in the wording of such a piece of legislation. Sometimes the appropriate forms are available on the website of the state Attorney General’s office.

If you can wend your way through the Tort Claims process, you could have the accumulated gunk cleaned off by a detailing shop, and then submit the bill to the state for compensation. I can’t guarantee that they will compensate you, but it is worth a try.

Yes Jesmed1…salt is a real problem and even worse are brine trucks that spread liquid salt all over the big highways… :frowning:

Thanks VDC Driver that was helpful. I will certainly check out the Tort Claims Act.

If you leave it on there, here is what could happen:

“The high alkalinity of RCM (pH greater than 11) can result in corrosion of aluminum or galvanized steel pipes in direct contact with RCM and in the presence of moisture. Similarly, RCM that is highly contaminated with chloride ions can lead to corrosion of steel.”

RCM = reclaimed concrete material

I would worry most about corrosion of aluminum from the cement, ie aluminum wheels if you have them. But under the car is mostly steel, which shouldn’t be affected much.

Take a different route. Keep a good wax coating. Vinegar or ### should take it off if you get it right away and then rewax.

Edit: Yes Tester is correct. Don’t use CLR. This stuff is supposed to be good. The minimum 5 gal will set you back $100 but maybe share with neighbors.

http://www.romixchem.com/romix_cart/back_set.php

Highway building and maintenance has become extremely expensive…States and municipalities are willing to try ANYTHING to lower costs…Some of the “solutions” may be worse than the problem…

@Bing‌

If look you on the back of a bottle of CLR, it states, NOT NOT USE ON PAINTED SURFACES.

Tester