Road noise - 2017 Subaru Outback

does the car normally have lots of road niose. I changed from the original Bridgestone to Michelins and it’s still very loud. I only have 11k miles

Apparently it does, based on your experience. Michelins are known to be pretty quiet tires on most cars.

Noisy IS in the ear of the beholder, though. Your “noisy” might not be my “OK, that’s pretty quiet”

I have a 2016 Outback and there is quite a bit of road noise but I guess I’m used to it. Our prior Subaru, a 2000 Forester, also had significant road noise. This is purely a guess but I wonder if the higher ground clearance contributes to more road noise - Or maybe the AWD or a combination of both??

I have a 2017 Outback Limited and while it is not a quiet car it isn’t excessively noisy. Were the Bridgestones as noisy as the Michelins?

I have Bridgestones and for winter I tried a brand sold by Les Schwab (WinterCat XT and they were unacceptably noisy. So bad that Schwab replaced them with another brand (Toyo Observe G3) and they are acceptable but as quiet as the Bridgestones.
I’m curious about the Michelins because that is what I had planned for replacements when the Bridgestones wear out.
If you have 18" wheels, I suspect they add to the noise level as compared to 17" (less rubber between the wheel and the pavement.)

By less rubber between the wheel and pavement you mean a lower profile tire?

How long have you had the car (are you the original owner)? Was it ever not loud? (Trying to distinguish between whether the noise has always existed vs. whether it developed over time while you had the first tires). Does the noise change on different road surfaces? This could help distinguish between inherently noisy tires (noisy on smooth roads) vs. tires and suspension that allow the noise generated on rougher surfaces into the cabin. It’s early for wheel bearing failure, but bearing (and gear) noises would remain across tire changes. My experience with many sets of Michelins (likely not your exact model) and Pirellis, is that both were fairly quiet. You might try driving another of the same model as a comparison.

1 Like

Additionally, the exact trim model can have a bearing on the interior noise level, simply because the “stripp-o” trim models have little or no sound insulation, but the top level models–in this case, the Limited or Touring trim models–have significantly more sound insulation than the cheaper models.

What is the trim model of the OP’s Outback?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply

I guess the Outback is just sensitive to road noise. It changes with the type of surface.

The car only has 10k miles and has brand new Michelins.

Other than that, I love the car.

5 posts were split to a new topic: 2015 Crosstrek straining noise

Okay, but when the OP posted his question in October, 2018, he also told us that…

It is possible that the OP’s vehicle hasn’t yet exhausted its 3 yr/30k mile Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty, in which case he shouldn’t be taking it to an indy mechanic, but–in any event–I suspect that he has resolved (or accepted) this noise problem in the 20 months or so since he posted his question.

1 Like

It appears that two posts or threads are being conflated - 1) peterFawlter about road noise starting Oct '18, and 2) pmgentile_167851 starting today, June 8, 2020, inquiring about noise and performance problems. Are these something a moderator can separate, is there a moderator…?

Hi ken. I split off the posts about the Crosstrek noise. It seems that even though pmgentile joined an existing thread, there was only one post that conflated the old thread info with today’s post. I got rid of that and some other stuff that now doesn’t make much sense outside of context.

This has come up over the years, but Discourse was designed for the existing threads to remain open. There are different opinions about that. I don’t think that new posters think they can “only” post in existing threads; rather, they google around, find something that sounds like their problem, and post within that thread.

1 Like

Hi,
I tried to create a new post… I am a Newbie, sorry. I just couldn’t figure out how to do it, it didn’t seem to want to let me do it.

@pmgentile_167851 It’s OK! The posts are moved here:

1 Like

Thanks. I think your existing policy is fine: to allow people to introduce their own problem or new material to an existing post when it seems relevant to them.

When I opened the e-mail notice of new activity today I saw the newly posted item (Crosstek noise) and responded to it without realizing it was a different car and problem (nor did it matter to me). Then another poster, referring to the relatively low miles of the car in the original post, suggested the Crosstek might still be on warranty, etc., which prompted me to go back to the beginning where I soon realized a new poster had introduced a new subject. This is the first time I’ve experienced such cross-talk so I don’t think it’s a frequent problem.

I enjoy the website, though I’m beginning to suspect many of the frequent posters are as ancient as I am (remember running boards?)

Regards,

Ken

| cdaquila
June 9 |

• | - |

Hi ken. I split off the posts about the Crosstrek noise. It seems that even though pmgentile joined an existing thread, there was only one post that conflated the old thread info with today’s post. I got rid of that and some other stuff that now doesn’t make much sense outside of context.

This has come up over the years, but Discourse was designed for the existing threads to remain open. There are different opinions about that. I don’t think that new posters think they can “only” post in existing threads; rather, they google around, find something that sounds like their problem, and post within that thread.

3 Likes

Why in the world anyone has email notification from this Forum or any other is something I don’t understand .

1 Like