Risks with Registration out of state

3 large and 2 small car insurers told me if they learn I registered out of state (where my car isnt used) they’d cancel my insurance or refuse a payout upon an accident. Is this a bluff?

Several ppl tell me they totalled their cars, registered not where they live/use the car and nothing happened. My sense is insurers are only trying to prevent cheaper insurance rates gotten fraudulently. I’m not doing that. But I do want to keep my current registration, which is out of state. (Exactly why is a topic for some other day. It has no bearing on the immediate question).

My current payments are based on where I live, not by where my out of state registration is. So I’m not committing fraud.

Nevertheless, in the case of a catastrophic incident I wonder what will happen merely because my registration is in fact out of state. You’d think from what they told me insurers wouldnt make the payout. But the stories of nothing happening to others, in real accidents, is contrary to the expectations. At this point only theory has been offerred. Does anyone actually have the answer??

You’re supposed to register your car in the State where it is primarily used. What’s the reason for not doing that?

I believe your insurance has access to your vehicle registration information, so it is still possible that the State where it is registered is affecting the rate. Is your registered address also in the State where the vehicle is registered?

You’re trying to scam the system. Don’t be surprised if they cancel your policy.

6 Likes

In addition to above remarks, most states require drivers license, residence, and car registration to be the same. There are exceptions if you work across state lines, and exceptions for military personnel.

No. I acquired my policy before I changed the state for registering. I have no intention to pay less.

How am I scamming?

It is NOT a bluff. They will drop you or they will refuse to pay in an accident.

And in virtually every state you live in, having your car registered in another state IS a crime. Especially if you are trying to avoid emissions testing.

There are snowbirds in Florida that register their in Florida if they own a home here and some that keep their registration from up north, because they haver a home there. The key point is “home” or more properly, a permanent residence in the state.

3 Likes

How can you be adamant when I gave everyone examples to the contrary. In my post.

It is not supposed to be registered at home. If you keep your car parked at an airport because you frequently travel there, you are supposed to be registering it there even though your home is somewhere else and you don’t live in the State where you keep the car.

There is no information anout registration in my insurance rider.

When you move to a new state usually you have so many days to change your driver’s license to that state and to transfer your vehicle registrations. It sounds like you’re not doing that.

Now if the vehicle is not moving with you, then it is correct for you to not change the registration. If you do bring the car to your new home and the government asks about it, you’ll probably have to explain that the vehicle is not primarily used in the State of your new home.

edit:

Have you read all of the fine print of your policy?

1 Like

Why do it? To save money, right?

An example of where a company failed to detect the scam changes nothing.

1 Like

Moving to a new state doesnt apply. I didnt move.

No. Not to save $. (You couldnt get any cheaper than what I have as 4 cars are on my policy - the whole family).

So why do it?

Well if you didn’t update your mailing address then nobody will know that you’re temporarily living in a different place.

Snow bird situations are very common. You just have to use the right words when communicating to your insurance. Just say that you are traveling to such and such place for less than 6 months, and not changing your place of residence.

No updating of my address needed. I didnt move. No intentions to, either.

I think every insurance policy allows you to travel out of State. If there is a restriction about how long you can travel without informing them, it is in the fine print in the policy. I think you will be fine.

What you wrote there makes it sound like you registered your car in one State while your place of residence is in a different State. This is a different situation than traveling. You can still do this, but the car cannot be primarily used in the State where you reside.

I would tell my agent my exact situation in writing and get written confirmation I’m covered.

But re-reading your post makes me think this is more a car registration problem.

Except you didn’t give any examples just this…

And I’m supposed to believe this?

My wife worked several years in the auto insurance business for 2 different companies and confirms exactly what the insurance companies told you.

My answer is worth what you paid for it. Believe whomever you wish but I’d pay attention to what the insurance companies are telling you, they are the ones that make their rules.

6 Likes