Risks with Registration out of state

Nope. See the quote below from Florida’s registration laws.

In the state of Florida, a vehicle must have a valid registration to operate on Florida roads, and vehicle with out-of-state registrations are required by law to be registered within 10 days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency.

You can leave a car here with out of state plates in the airport parking lot as long as you can afford to pay their outrageous fees! Or it can be stored in a storage facility, or your vacation cottage garage until you establish residency at which time the registration needs to be changed to Florida.

If you have a valid reason, such as being temporarily outside of your state of residence due to being a university student, etc, temporary work assignment, owning a summer or winter home, etc, then you can continue to register your car in the state where your primary residence is located. If you are permanently living in a particular state, then you should register your car there.

The only exception I can think of is if you own a low-value car, which cannot pass emissions in the state where you are now living. In that case, you’d probably only have the bare minimum insurance, if that, so I wouldn’t worry too much about the insurance being invalidated.

As a side note, I have never had an insurance company ask about registration, even when I was a student, and my car was registered in another state. However, they always ask what was the vehicle being used for at the time of the accident, and if there were any other occupants in the vehicle. A lot of people are having insurance claims denied because they were using the vehicle for a commercial purpose, such as driving for Uber/Lyft/Veyo, delivering food for GrubHub/DoorDash, or as a direct employee of some restaurant. Remember people, insurance is a game, and unfortunately you have to play this game as it lays, which sometimes means that it is necessary to “bend the truth” in order to get a fair payout for your losses.

1 Like

It’s a ‘game’ where the insurance company holds all the cards. Play at your own (significant) risk.

1 Like

They don’t have to ask you… they know! They have the VIN, they can look up where and if it is registered.

5 Likes

I have not been asked for registration or prof of insurance in years and years, cop just ask for license, runs it and then hands it back with or without a ticket… They can see your tags, so they run those also… This is in TN and KY from my experience…

But my 22 yo daughter is thinking about moving to another state in a couple of months and we have already told here she might have to get her own insurance there, but we are going to call our ins agent to see what she will have to do, so we will know this answer in a few months… lol

If you pay the registration fee to state B, but drive in state A, state A is deprived of funds it needs to cover your road use expenses. There may also be emissions issues.

No idea how it would affect your insurance coverage, but I expect it wouldn’t be favorable to you if the insurance company found out. If you file a claim they’ll obviously know you were driving in state A, and will likely ask why. Another downside, you might receive an illegal registration traffic ticket.

Each state has residency rules that affect taxes and car registrations. Whatever the rules are they need to be followed. Sometimes it’s 6 months or in other cases you have to return home once every 90 days. Failing to license your car, boat, rv, etc. puts you at risk for fines etc. there usually are exceptions for military and students though. The rules are all on computer but tax or hunting rules may differ from the vehicle rules.

Trivia question… What city in the US and when was the first car insurance sold? What insurance company issued the policy?

No idea. My guess however is New York City, 1902, Hartford Insurance Company.

Earlier and in a different city.

Ok, I’ll try again. Providence, RI, 1898, Prudential.

If it was Hartford, I would have thought Hartford, Connecticut, but I have no idea.

Westfield Mass, October 20 1897. Travelers wrote a policy for Gilbert J. Loomis for a car he built. Loomis built steam cars in the late 1800s then built gas powered cars in 1901 for a few years in Mass.

Loomis then joined the Speedwell car company in Dayton, Ohio in 1907. Speedwell rented space to the Wright Brothers in their manufacturing plant on Wisconsin Blvd. in Dayton. Speedwell got wiped out in the great flood of 1913. That same plant became Delco Moraine, GM’s former brake and engine bearing suppliers.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’d have never guessed the city, but might have guessed the other two given enough tries … lol … I do recall a connection b/t the Wright Brothers and Speedwell.

Ok, my turn: How did the Wright Brother’s first carburetor used for their first motorized airplane work?

Trick question… it did not have a carburetor! A petcock was opened to drip fuel into a recess in the intake manifold. Once it was running, it ran at a more or less steady RPM. The hot intake vaporized the fuel to mix with air.

4 Likes

My guess was going to be a Weiand Tunnel Ram intake with a pair of Holley 1050 Dominators feeding the massive 12HP 4 cylinder engine… :rofl:

+1 for Mustangman’s answer…

3 Likes

1897, dayton ohio of all places

NO. You register your car where you home residence is. I live in NH, about 1 mile from the MA border. I work in MA. I drive my car mainly in MA. But since my residency is in NH, by LAW I MUST register my car in NH. And you get insurance where your car is registered (BY LAW).

5 Likes

That topic needs to be covered in this thread. It is pertinent to the discussion.

1 Like

According to the laws of NH or MA?