Rev Limiter

I want to put a rev limiter on my carbureted engine, 1987 Chevy 350, and I was thinking of the MSD soft touch rev control PN 8728. I just have a distributor and a coil which is think means it’s an inductive ignition. Will this work for me? Someone also said it won’t work with solid core plug wires. How do I tell if I have solid core wires and what are the alternatives?

That is a tough question, my rev limiter was my foot on the gas pedal, silly me. Just cause I am ignorant why do you want one?

1 Like

Last engine blew up due to a throttle return spring delete. I now just don’t trust springs and I really don’t want to be buying another engine.

1 Like

Should work just fine, You most likely have what are called carbon core plug wires, the Solid core wires are sold by companies such as accel and Taylor cable as universal kits for a v8 (performance plug wires)

1 Like

Alright thank you

Your vehicles PCM has a built in rev limiter, have you run your Trailblazer at the Great Lakes Dragaway? This is where RPM shifting and rev limit would be of interest.

No I have not run my tb at great lakes, it is gone now, got an acadia, but not planning or never planned on taking a vehicle I own to the track. Might do race car training at BIR, with their vehicle of course. Wife now the primary for the Acadia, heated seats etc. You don’t mind the Rav4 she asks. I said it goes and it stops and steers, that is fine for me. And the golf clubs fit!

What about a tachometer with a variable shift light and warning buzzer?

I’d suggest an MSD 6AL instead. It is an ignition amplifier with a built in soft touch rev limiter. I’ve used these on GM HEI ignitions several times. Gives you a hotter spark, multiple sparks per ignition cycle. I used this on my '86 Camaro road race car exclusively. They work great.

2 Likes

Well dont go through life not trusting springs due to them being ineffective…when they are not present…that will lead to more mental construct issues than I currently suffer under. You should have not moved your vehicle if no throttle return springs were present and that is fact. A “Throttle return spring delete” kit is about as smart as an “Electrical Wire Insulation delete” kit… In fact I think they are sold at the same place too… Anyway…

We’ve been using throttle return springs for…oh…a little over 100 years now and despite some mishaps (usually due to operator or installer error) those springs do their job quite well especially when they are actually present. They do a horrible job when they aren’t physically there…kind of like…well…everything.

That being said…Mr @Mustangman gave you some handy advice (as usual) on the MSD ignition system… no problems going that route at all.

5 Likes

Haha it was just a little joke, it happened mid drive and I just want it for cheap insurance, cheaper than an engine at least.

1 Like

Was it easy to install? Also will I need to buy a whole new system like new distributor and coil?

I was going to respond however I will let The Man of Mustang respond as I’m sure he can fill you in…

2 Likes

Very easy install with the GM HEI. You do not need to buy a new distributor. Instructions are pretty good and clear. You can mount it underhood if you want. They come with rubber isolators but are pretty robust to vibration.

1 Like

Alright I’ll look into it, thanks for the help

2 Likes

…and return that “Throttle spring delete” kit… LOL

1 Like

Blackbird, am I remembering correctly back in the carbureted days some cars having two throttle return springs, concentrically mounted, or have I had too many martinis today?

4 Likes

Absolutely correct @old_mopar_guy … One spring inside the other… Yep…

2 Likes

Fantastic! That means I can finish this martini :grinning:

3 Likes

You can have as many “Quarantini’s” as you like @old_mopar_guy

However be aware that they tend to repel people asking for money, women, small children, people who borrow tools…and even the Coronavirus

So Imbibe all you like my brother !