Replacing the Clockspring on a Jeep Wrangler 2008?

I know this is the problem; it’s a common problem with Jeeps and Chrysler won’t fix it under warranty/recall unless it’s a 2007 or before (even though it’s the same issue). I can find the part online for about $200, but mechanics around here say it’s a $448.00 part and want between $550-$600.00 to fix it. I could easily do it for the $200 part and some elbow grease but I don’t have the tools so need someone who does. Any suggestions on a quick fix? Even if I could just turn off the light and the dinging that would solve my problem. After a year and a half, it’s driving me crazy!

A Couple Of Thoughts:

The recall bulletin (Right-hand drive 2008 Jeeps) for technicians has excellent photos and step by step directions. The whole job pays technicians only .6 hour labor. Not rocket science.

Looks like a puller is the only thing out of the ordinary and could be purchased fairly inexpensively, if need be. Proper jaws (legs) for a generic puller can be purchased for 20 bucks on Amazon. The bulletin says replace, do not reuse the steering wheel bolt.

I can find the part online for about $200, but mechanics around here say it’s a $448.00 part and want between $550-$600.00 to fix it”. Your “mechanics around here” seem to want excessive labor charges for this job. I’d wander a little from the area and find somebody more reasonable if you’d rather not tackle it.

If it was my Jeep, I’d repair it, not disable a warning system that was distracting me.

CSA