Replacing passernger side mirror

Hi Guys,

I have a cracked passenger side mirror on my 2000 Subaru Outback. Is there anyway I can replace just the glass to avoid the cost of replacing the entire device?

Thanks a bunch!

Kate from Pacific Palisades CA :slight_smile:

Yup. The parts stores sell a sitck on mirror face for $10. You cut it with shears (or good scissors) to size and stick it over the old surface.

I just used some for another project. I constructed a sliding visor mirror extension to elongate the visor field and used it to put a mirror on the extension.

I would recommend that you go to a glsss shop. I had the glass fall out of the right hand mirror on my 1978 Oldsmobile some time back. I ordered the replacement glass from the dealer. Not only was the price too high, but when I peeled off the backing paper, the glue was dried out. In desperation, I took the car to a body shop at a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership that has been helpful to me before. The body shop manager couldn’t believe the price I had to pay for the glass. He said that the glass shop where he subcontracts windshield replacement was coming to his shop for a job that afternoon and had me leave the car. When I came back later the mirror was fixed and there was no charge. The body shop manager said that I had been through enough already. He said that for these problems, just take it to a glass shop. They will cut a mirror and install it.

I appreciate your help with this. An entire new mirror device is $65.00 online. I am sure the glass will be much less.
Many thanks,
Kate

On some cars the mirror and backing pull out and you pop a new one back in.