Replacing instrument panel w/digital odometer - how to reset?

A couple of months ago, the heat gauge got tempermental in my '98 Mazda Protege LX. Sometimes it works fine, other times the needle won’t move off the peg no matter how far I drive. I’ve had it checked out and the diagnosis was that it’s just the gauge, not the thermostat, sensor, etc. It was recommended I replace the whole instrument panel and I can buy one (salvage) for about $50 which I can live with.

My question is, what happens to the odometer reading since I don’t know the mileage on the salvaged replacement? The mechanic (a shop that’s done right by me before) says he doesn’t do manual re-sets of odometers (I can see why), and suggests maybe a Mazda dealership would know how.

Is this do-able, or should I not even worry about it? I wouldn’t even worry about replacing the cluster except for the fact that, if the car did overheat (never has before, knock word), I might now know it, if it was on a day when the heat gauge isn’t working.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

The dealer can hook up a scanner to the vehicle and reset the odometer to reflect the correct mileage your vehicle has on it.

Tester