Replacing an Engine -- Worth it or Not?

Live with the 1 quart per 1000 miles until next Summer . . . then give the valve stem seals a go yourself. Not a bad job. If you’re not up to it, I believe that you could get it done pretty cheap . . . the parts are next to nothing for this job and the labor shouldn’t be too bad . . anybody have a shop rate guide for this job? Maybe you could do some shadetree diagnostics for the valve stem seals diagnosis. My Honda allowed for the oil to “leak down” overnight and would have a “puff” of light blue smoke on startup. Anybody else have any other way to diagnose this valve stem problem? ok4450’s idea for a compression and leakdown is a good one . . . many mechanics forget about these basic tests and miss things. Easy to do and if you read it right can tell a lot. Good luck! Rocketman

Agree with others; put a case of oil in the back and top up as needed. Oil is cheap and the current rate of consumption will not cause the engine to malfunction and it may even pass a smog test.

The one at the Ford dealer includes a gasket, not just an o-ring. It’s not too hard to install on a 4.6L V-8, but not fun either.

I recently sold my daughter’s '98 JGC for her. It had 174K and didn’t use a 1/2 cup of oil between 5000 mile changes. All in all it was such a good vehicle that she bought an '07. Somehow I doubt the new 3.7 V-6 could possibly last as long an that good old 4.0. I’ve seen several of them with over 300K. IMHO the 4.0 is one of the best engines ever designed. It has a lineage tracable to Nash in the '30s.

The one at the Ford dealer includes a gasket, not just an o-ring. It’s not too hard to install on a 4.6L V-8, but not fun either.

I’m referring to the right angle mount on something like the Cologne 4.0 SOCH. It typically had an oil cooler (sandwich-laminar) in between the block and the adapter. There were others for the 3/4-16 threaded engines. On the 4.0 SOHC, the adapter went from a block side 3/4-16 to the Modular’s metric filter thread to reduce part numbers on the assembly line.

I have had several Grand Cherokees, and you can get a good used one on Craigslist for what you would put into an engine, and probably be better off with less miles. Although we love our Jeeps, mechanically speaking they are not “stellar” (AC systems, elec.windows,other electronics) You will have more problems going forward with these little annoyances, so cut and run!

Is the PCV valve working properly?