Replaced front end, but

Its just my experience that if they did shoddy work, pointing it out to people that do shoddy work, isn’t going to have much impact. It’s just my position that it’s management’s job to do QC and manage their business, not mine. It’s also my belief that most people that go back to complain are doing it for their own satisfaction, not to help the business improve. So just saying don’t expect much.

Now if they want to pay me a consulting fee, that’s different. I’ll be happy to help them out. I was at a Menards in Ohio the other day and I’ve got to say the manager should be fired. Or where was the manager? Three checkouts with two of them with blinking lights and at least 10 people waiting at each. The clerk rang the little bell but no one came. I said I don’t think anyone heard the bell so she rang it again then told people it will be a while so might want to go to one of the other checkouts with the blinking lights too. So the main problem was that items were not properly input into the computer system so they could be scanned. Second problem was no one watching the lines, and third problem was no one in authority reporting back the problem with the computer inventory. That’s where if the manager was anywhere around, he would have been having a meeting that afternoon with his inventory folks. Give the guy the $3 pencil if it doesn’t scan and chalk it up to inventory shrinkage instead of making ten people wait to figure it out. That’s what a manager would have done and then told Jim he’s not leaving tonight until he gets the problem fixed.

So bottom line, if the manager or owner is not around enough to see where people screw up, it is not likely much will happen if problems are pointed out to them. Others will disagree so complain all you want or fill out suggestion form or satisfaction survey. Good managers don’t need satisfaction surveys because they are in contact. My oral surgeon called me up to see how I was doing. That’s being a good manager. It’s just business management 101.

The thing is I had driven to Nevada, and on my way home, the VSC warning began. I live in an extremely rural area. A) I could have been driving on 395, at about 75 mph when the wheel came off. I could have not only injured myself, but somebody else as well!
B) Had I been closer to home when the wheel came off, my car could have gone over the mountain, or I could have been stranded in the middle of nowhere for God knows how long.
I’m so upset that I was told my car was ok to drive.
I could have seriously been the cause of someone else being injured…or worse!
I am going to tell the jerk that said everything was ok - that he was wrong.
If he cares or not, so be it. But at least I will have made him aware, before I post his shop on Yelp.

My boss and I have a running joke, dealing with scada, computers etc. How hard do we have to beg for you to sell us what we need!

Now I’m going to cry…

Do you have an inspection report from that visit? Was this at a repair shop or an oil change shop?

If you shop around on line for cheap parts and perform the repairs yourself you can save money, otherwise expect to pay retail prices like most others.

Don’t cry because you think it was your fault, it was not, Cry for the cost of repairs I understand

We’ve been through this many times already

You know that an auto repair shop will NOT sell a customer the part as cheaply as he could buy it online. Shops are expected to make a fair profit by marking up their parts.

And there’s labor to consider, maybe that $274 also included some labor

I would not come to the conclusion that OP got a raw deal

I don’t know if that’s what you were wondering, suggesting, etc., but if so, I’m not in agreement

ATTENTION YES DEARY strong text

are you aware that there is a manufacturer recall:  2001-2004  Toyota 4Runner, Highlander,Tacoma, Sienna etc  Reason: "manufacturing defect", lower ball joint  ? 

…your tire ‘fell off’’ because the lower ball joint failed (separated/came apart,broke), correct? - It’s unclear to me when, exactly, you originally posted because the date stamp only has the month and day, not the year grr(.
. I have a 96 Tacoma and had the passenger side lower balljoint break while I was driving out in the boonies last summer. That’s when I learned that Toy trucks &suvs are NOTORIOUS for this problem- those manufactured for the last two decades or so, anyways. Bad design. Unfortunately for thousands of Toyota owners, Toyota is only footing the bill for certain models manufactured 2001-2004… approximately 790,000 total.
It seems to me you (might) have some legal recourse for claiming reimbursement from Toyota for these repairs; I know that w/a man. recall the manufacturer has certain rules they are mandated to follow regarding owner notification, scope of work, repair, etc .and, maybe, repair reimbursement…(?) .I only took time to verify that your yr/model vehicle is covered by the recall (yes) further verification is up to you…:
Incidentally, I, personally, would have some to say to the shop and mechanic where you took it to have the front end inspected and they gave ti a ‘pass’. Do not let this go unremarked. (please) It’s wrong on so many levels…can you say “liability”? You took it for the inspection BECAUSE you noticed indications of some sort of trouble- indications scary enough that you parked it, A competent, responsible tech should_emphasized text_ have road tested it as well as doing a detailed in- shop inspection-(fyi , ball joint check is pretty simple: jack front end up, grab wheel (tire) at top and bottom (12-and 6- o’clock) .; push/pull top/bottom; there should be no movement) That tech- FAIL. .
Having said that, I should mention here that my truck only ‘felt’ wrong for a very brief amount of time… less than .2 miles short of my destination / breakdown location it started to feel like I had a low or flat tire. I pulled over, looked at both front tires-nope, not flat. hm. Got back on the road, told my passenger "something ain’t right. When we get home I’m gonna have to jack it up,10 min later, front end collapsed as I was turning it around in the driveway at our destination. VERY lucky : 0 mph, dirt driveway, no traffic…still, est. total damage cost over $2500
. Most victims of Toyotas ’ ball joint defect seem to get little or no warning- i’ve read (hundreds of ) reports online (lemonlaw.org, repairpal.com. etc) and very few mention any warning signs prior to failure. Fortunately most seem to have escaped relatively unharmed although I remember two who reported bad rollover crashes due to failure at highway speed. .
Your situation differs in that you noticed some sign of impending failure early on-(good call, by the way-you are one smart cookie-and your instincts are spot on.)
Sorry for the long post-it’s just that, well, you’ve been, well, wronged. Repeatedly. At cost,
…and, knowing what I know about the infamous (!) Toyota ball joint /design flaw/ selective recall…I. just .could not not ‘say’ nothing.
Please, please update.(if you’ve a mind to, that is…)

My problems began a couple months ago, and other than the crappy inspection and lack of alignment after repairs, my 4runner was probably overdue for regular maintenance. Yes, the lower balljoint broke.
With over 250k miles, it’s no surprise (to me) that the front end was in need of…parts.
I did contact the shop about the so-called front end inspection they reportedly did. As I had been forewarned in replies to my OP, I kept my temper in check, to no avail. The shop manager didn’t care. I hope he gets bitten by a rabid squirrel!
My 4runner has since been aligned (more difficulties at yet another shop, I stood my ground, left satisfied.) I had the timing chain and radiator replaced, some other stuff was replaced, and I like my vehicle again.
I thank you, max, for your post and the information you provided. I’ll look into it, but doubt I can blame Toyota for parts that held for 16 years.
I’m glad you and your passenger weren’t harmed, ditto for me and mine!

Thanks again,
Jill

Toyota Special Service Campaign 50J covers “Certain 2001-2002 4Runner vehicles” for lower ball joint replacement. Unfortunately the vehicle in this post was manufactured 2 months before the build date range listed in the campaign, 5-22-2002 to 8-23-2002.

Vehicle owners can enter their vehicle’s VIN in the Toyota site to check for incomplete recalls;

https://www.toyota.com/recall

1 Like

For other Toyota owners, it sounds like a good case for pre-emptive repairs of the ball joints. At least that’s what I would do. Covered in another discussion.