Replaced Clutch, car won't shift into gear

For those of you still talking about the various things with the clutch that could be wrong, I’ve had 1 mechanic friend of mine with 25+ years experience who I worked with for awhile take a look, and couldn’t see anything wrong with the flyweel, clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork, and the pivot ball the clutch fork sits on, as well as the input shaft and all it’s splines. All of which are in perfect condition. I also had another mechanic shop check all of this, and they even tried to install a different clutch themselves and it still didn’t work. I also now have a new clutch line, and a new clutch fork since the end of the old clutch fork was a little worn down but it wasn’t causing this issue.

Anyways, update on the transmission. The main input shaft bearing is shot. There is also a couple different bearings between a few gears are worn out. As well what I think was called a gear fork was out of shape. I have never done any kind of transmission work so not exactly my area of knowledge. Having it rebuilt this week and I should have a fresh clutch and transmission by the end of the week. This project car is turning into a lot more work than I ever expected, cars suck sometimes… If that doesn’t fix it, does anyone want to buy a Mustang? Fresh tranny and clutch, no test drives! Hahaha

As long as you can keep your sense of humor you’re a winner among OPs here. The gauntlet thrown at posters here added to their misery diagnosing the problem seperates the men from the boyz @Mr Hart…

But about that input shaft bearing, was there an annoying noise when idleing in neutral and a tough push into 4th gear leading up to the current situation?

So it’s fixed. My input shaft was fused to something on the inside of the transmission so I had to get that replaced. They input shaft bearing was also seazed up, I couldn’t turn it at all with it out but all the parts and everything stayed together on it. Also did a complete tranny rebuild.

@Rod_Knox: no grinding or whining before, just wouldn’t shift, would only power shift. I don’t recall shifting into 4th and it doing anything like that.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Just thinking out loud here… When reinstalling a manual transmission I made it a habit to grease the input splines and I feel sure that a seized front input or intermdeiate bearing would have been evident at that time. How did a ‘profesional’ dealership mechanic miss that?

I had this problem many years ago and found that the manufacture had put in a marsel plate that was too thick thus making to much release bearing travel to disengage the clutch. This spring goes between the two disc on the driven plate. Compare it with another product and see if the spring has to much wave to it. If so, there’s your problem. Just install a different disc and your problems should be solved.

By the way, a manual transmission will have no effect on a clutch not working. Don’t waste your money having someone take it apart. Retired but, been doing transmission work for over 40 years so I think I have some knowledge there.

The OP states in their last post that the problem is solved.

I greased the input splines. It wassn’t completely seized, and didn’t make any noice. The input shaft bearing could turn circles, but it jossled front amd back quite a bit but you couldn’t hear anything. You could still spin the transmission by hand, but once it was rebuilt it was quite a bit easier.

You need to read the page before posting. Transmission had multiple problems that I went in and looked at myself before I had them do the work. The side of the input shaft that is inside the trans was so worn down it practically fused to a gear.

Bought this car as a project car, not working. I am thinking the previous owner drove it awhile with just power shifting it and did all the damage to the transmission.

I’ve heard of cases where the input shaft contacts the flywheel too tightly (b/c it is too long say, or the flywheel isn’t spaced properly from the transmission) and it sort of binds up and causes this symptom. So what you say makes sense OP, that a binding transmission input shaft – even though it is binding inside the transmission – could also cause it. In any event, it’s fixed! Good for you. Enjoy your Mustang driving experience. Folks w/Mustangs I notice seem to really enjoy their cars.

Still has nothing to do with the clutch not releasing. As far as the transmission goes, The input gear drives the counter gear and the front gear on the counter gear is the largest and lubes the input gear and the bearings inside the mainshaft. The main drive gear of the counter gear should be the last to run out of lube. The others gears should have fused together before the input gear and drive gear on the counter gears fused. Something doesn’t sound right here. In all manual transmissions, the input gear drives the transmission while mating to another gear except direct gear. The input gear is driven by the clutch disc so if the disc does not disengage, the input gear will always turn unless it’s in gear and foot on the brake.

@Hiroshi, the problem was that @rs.lainhart could not shift gears with the engine running. Most of the time, that is due to the clutch, but that is MOST of the time, not ALL the time. Rebuilding the transmission did solve the problem after multiple replacements and inspections of the clutch did not. I, for one, will accept what works, even if I don’t understand why.