Replaced belt tensioner - But still chirps and squeals

2015 Nissan Rogue - 108,000 miles - I just had the belt tensioner and a belt replaced. But there are chirps and really loud squeals when I’m driving. But it does stop usually after a mile or two. I’ve taken it in but they say it’s hard to fix it unless it’s squealing when they have the car. And of course it’s not doing it when I get to the shop so it hasn’t been looked at yet.

Now I have to take a trip with a couple of 4 hour drives. So my question is, is it OK and safe to drive that far with this going on? I have a sense that it is but wanted to ask.

Thanks

Clearly you fixed the wrong problem. Which is unfortunate.

I’d be concerned about some of the items “attached” to the belt, such as the alternator, A/C compressor, and things of that nature.

Have you noticed anything odd with the electrical system, or A/C?

1 Like

None with the electrical. But I have turned the A/C on and off to test it and sometimes, not all, there will be chirp when I turn the A/C on and stops when I turn it off.

You can leave it with them overnight so they can test it in the morning when it’s “cold”.

Alternatively, I would remove the belt in the AM before driving it and check the pulleys by hand. Especially any idler pulleys that are in the belt loop. Rotate by hand and feel for any resistance or other anomalies.

A set of mechanics ears would find the offending parts pretty quickly when it’s acting up…

1 Like

I’d have my mechanic check the compressor and A/C system in general.

Are you sure they replaced the tensioner and not just the tensioner pulley and belt?

It is possible you simply installed a cheap belt and or tensioner… I have had chirps and squeals that I chased until I put a quality belt on the vehicle…
As bad as I hate to mention Auto Zone for parts, but they do carry a belt by Continental that I have found works the best (in my area anyway), Rock Auto has them also…

But make sure everything else that the belt touches is in good working order 1st…

The harmonic balancer might be slipping.

Use a bright marker or crayon to draw a line on the harmonic balancer from the inner hub to the outer pulley. Start the engine, after the squealing occurs stop the engine and inspect the match marks for alignment.

If the mark on the outer pulley no longer aligns with the mark on the inner hub, the rubber insulator is slipping, and the harmonic balancer must be replaced.

If you can’t diagnose this problem yourself, you need to leave the vehicle at the shop long enough for the noise to occur.

1 Like

+1
The problem could even be related to an idler pulley.

There ain’t no idler pulley.

Exploded view

Exploded view

1. Generator pulley
  2. Water pump pulley
  3. Drive belt auto-tensioner
  4. Crankshaft pulley
  5. A/C compressor pulley
  6. Drive belt retainer boss

Tester

Hmmm… Interesting! I didn’t realize that this vehicle has no idler pulley.
The only time that I ever had this type of problem, it was the result of an old idler pulley.

This is probably the best way to answer your question.Here’s the bill. I had some brake work done as well.

Good ideas for possible causes above. I’d be very reluctant to begin a lengthy out of my local area trip with this problem myself. If the sounds are not resolved, suggest to rent a car for your upcoming trip. Comes with the territory when owning an older car. Your 2015 Rogue was only new with all new parts once, and that was nearly 10 years and 100k+ miles ago.