Replace Transmission on 2003 Honda Element?

I have a 2003 Honda Element with 149,000 miles. Transmission has gone out, replacement will be $2,300. The car is paid off, and I had hoped to drive it to 200,000 miles or more. However, I just had a $1,600 repair of an electrical component a few months back and now this. I’m also being advised that I should not replace a transmission on a car with this many miles as it means everything else will soon start to fall apart also. So do I replace? Do I get a new care?

We can’t see the car, so we can’t determine its overall condition. This is a decision you have to make for yourself.

If the car is in good condition and you’ve maintained it correctly there’s no reason not to replace the transmission and continue driving it.

I don’t buy the idea that “everything else will start falling apart.” Yes, the car will still require normal maintenance, and perhaps a repair now and then, but there are lots of Hondas running around with well over 200K on them.

Look at it this way; you can’t buy a new car for $2,300.

Does the car burn any oil??

Any rust?

What other issues have you had with the vehicle??

How was it maintained??

The car does not burn oil and has been very well maintained. The only other issue has been the electrical component repair from a few months back. The mechanic has also said that everything else is in good condition. So, I’m thinking replace the transmission. But others are telling me I will regret it and that I should move on to a new car to avoid having more large repairs over the next 2-3 years it might last.

What electrical component costs $1600?

Specifically, what kind of maintenance did the transmission get over the last 149K miles. How often was the trans fluid changed, what were the time and mileage intervals between changes? Do you tow anything?

Get some more prices; there are new (most expensive), rebuilt (next most expensive), and used (unrebuilt but tested as good) transmissions available. A new transmission properly cared for should last as long or longer than the one you are replacing.