Replace the Catalytic Converter?

I’ve got a 1999 Honda Odyssey, and the “check engine” light recently went on. My mechanic says I need to replace two oxygen sensors and a catalytic converter at the cost of ~$1,000.

The car seems to be running fine, and not any different from before. Is replacing the catalytic converter just an environmental thing or will it really hurt the car if I don’t do it?

How does he know the converter is bad? I’d replace the O2 sensors and see if that solves the problem. Get a second opinion.

Drop by a local AutoZone, Advance, Checkers, etc and have them pull the codes. Post any results back here for discussion and we’ll try to at least determine if you need all of that stuff or if they’re using a shotgun approach to the repair.
These parts houses will perform this service for you free and it only takes a minute.

Call your mechanic and get him to give you a good detailed description of why he thinks converter is bad. If he balks get a second opinion somewhere. If he seems to make sense, post back but make sure you remember or write down what he tells you.

Yeah… if the o2 sensors are bad, how does he know it needs a new convertor? I call foul!

Maybe he said two oxygen sensors OR the catalytic convertor?

Get a second opinion. Even if you need all those things, you can look into universal Oxygen sensors from Auto Zone for 1/3 the price and you can also look into a custom header/catalytic converter combination from a muffler shop at a more reasonable price.

Very doubtful. The only time I’ve had to replace a converter is when it rusted off after 400,000 miles. They can go bad and come apart and block the exhaust, but highly suspect if all the symptom is is the check engine light on. Honda did have some issues with their computer programing causing lights to go on without a problem so at the very least get a second opinion. Doubt the light will stay off after replacing this stuff.

Also, the front O2 sensor is for fuel management. The second one is for emissions. If the front one goes bad, then the cat and the second one cannot do their jobs well, and also set a code. I’d replace the front one first, since this is the important one. Then see if the second one continues to set a code.

I agree 100%…Your mechanic is trying to tack on another $800 to a $200 job.

Even if it does turn out to be the catalytic converter, you should still fix it:

1. Even though it might be “just an environmental thing”, the Law in many states (and Federal?) takes emissions requirements seriously. You cannot pass inspection – if your state has such – with a defective converter, or even with the Check Engine Light on, or with any codes stored.

2. If you decide to ignore the CEL because you believe it’s activated for “just an environmental thing”, you will not know when it is trying to indicate something more serious.

If you decide to ignore the CEL because you believe it’s activated for “just an environmental thing”, you will not know when it is trying to indicate something more serious.

The CEL will flash if it is anything serious.

look up catco IF you determine you actually need a cat (I’m suspicious that you don’t). You can generally get a new replacement cat for around 100 bucks from those guys.