Replace muffler

I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The dealership diagnosed it as having a “cracked” muffler. Estimated cost to replace it is $2100. Are there any less expensive alternatives?

Don’t go to the dealer.

For that price to be legitimate, you would have to have a cracked exhaust manifold, and maybe some other damaged components.

Any reputable mechanic can diagnose your problem. You don’t need to go to the dealer unless it is a warranty repair. Look for an independent shop that specializes in mufflers. (Most people here will tell you to avoid chain shops.)

Even Midas can replace this for less than $200. Don’t get taken for a ride at the local ‘stealership’.

Forgot to mmention - in this year of Matrix the catalytic converter is built into the muffler. That’s supposedly why the cost is so high.

Not according to my parts supplier. Direct fit catalytic converter is $375.00 with pipe and resonator, direct fit muffler is $75.00. These are aftermarket prices, not Toyota OEM.

That price is ridiculous. For that much money, you better be getting a new exhaust manifold and everything beyond that, and it better be stainless steel, same as the factory parts. Why are you having to replace exhaust system parts on a car this new with a factory stainless steel system? What prompted you to take it in with this concern?

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

Are you aure you understood the diagnosis and the quoted work correctly? Dealers are generally high, but this price seems far enough out of line with the alleged “diagnosis” to make me wonder if we have the correct information here.

Do you notice any symptoms? Perhaps you can just keep driving it.

I use a pipe bender guy that guarantees mufflers for life, had 1 vehicle a really long time, 2 free mufflers and less that 20 bucks for clamps in additional costs on replacements. He did the whole job cheaper than I could buy parts. The thing that makes it relevant to this post is my catalytic converter had a split, $200+ to replace, or $10 to weld it back together. Naturally I took the $10 fix, never a problem at emission inspection and 6 years later I traded in the car. Check your options!

Any reputable mechanic can diagnose your problem. You don’t need to go to the dealer unless it is a warranty repair. Look for an independent shop that specializes in Muffler. (Most people here will tell you to avoid chain shops.)

You should also try to search for an independent shop that will also provide you with quality mufflers that allow your car to create noiseless exhaust tones. There are a lot of great shops out there and one of the most reliable sources of mufflers I have ever come across is car-stuff.

Hi, i am looking for some OEM muffler, i know this was a bit old but still trying my luck. Do you have a site for your parts supplier?