Repair

I have a 2004 Nissan Quest. Just recently, I started hearing a roaring noise in the front on the right side. It’s really loud when driving. We have to talk loud during a conversation just to hear each other. It makes this loud noise at all speeds. I jacked the front end up so that both wheels were off the ground to let the wheels spin freely. I heard the noise coming from what I think is the bearing in the CV joint assembly. Some people call it a caring bearing (I’m guessing). The tires were checked, balanced, and we got an alignment, but the noise is still there. So, I don’t think it is the tires. I also had it checked to see if any ball joints were worn out, but everything checked out okay. Just was wondering if you had any other thoughts as to what it could be?

Try this. Jack the wheels off the ground, and each tire grab at the 6:00 & 12:00 oclock postions. Now try rocking the top and bottom of the tire in and out. If there’s any play in the tire, that wheel bearing is worn.

Tester

Wheel bearings are often noisy before they get loose, so it is very likely you do have a bad wheel bearing. What you are referring to is a carrier bearing for the cv shaft. They are common on Nissans and some other Japanese cars. I have never seen or heard of one making any noise or even wearing out. The joint will go bad long before that carrier bearing goes bad.

As a general note to anybody who is not automotively inclined who reads this, strange noises NEVER, EVER indicate the need for an alignment. DO NOT EVER get an alignment done with hopes of making a noise, or virtually any other symptom go away. Some things that may happen that indicate the need for an alignment include abnormal tire wear, an off-center steering wheel, drifting or pulling (which isn’t always necessarily alignment related, but may be), or a recent collision with a curb, giant pothole, or the like. Excessive caster (an alignment measurement) can cause difficult steering or poor return-to-center, but is rare.