Repair or Sell "As Is?"

I’m planning to sell a '96 Jeep GC Laredo with around 152k miles. As fate would have it, it began leaking coolant. I’ve been told by a reliable, trustworthy mechanic that both the water pump and radiator are leaking. Should I pay to have these repairs made before selling it or try to sell it “as is?” The vehicle is in decent condition for its age and mileage. I’ve been given an estimate of around $725 to have both fixed. I’m guessing that with the repairs made, I could sell it for around $2750.

You will definitely have an easier time selling it with the leaks fixed. Most people don’t want to mess with getting a brand new (at least to them) car fixed.
I’m guessing you will also recoup the repair cost.

Yes, I agree that it would be easier to sell with the repairs made. Without them, my plan would be to discount the price by $1000 or so, to make it worthwhile for someone.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/jeep~cherokee~water_pump~parts.html
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Radiator

Check out the above parts prices. If you have a friend who can show you how, or can follow a haynes Repair manual from the local parts store, you can seriously reduce your repair costs. There’sll be the cost of a gasket, a belt, coolant, and perhaps a misc small part or two, but doing it yourself will save hundreds.

Caution: Used coolant needs to be disposed of properly. Don’t put it down the drain. Just sayin’…

Also agree, you’ll sell it much quicker with these simple, but potentially show-stopper, leaks fixed.

You would probably need to discount the car much more selling it without the necessary repairs. Fix it and sell it is probably the easiest way to go. Get a friend to help you on the repair and it is much better.

You save about $275 by your math if you make the repairs. You will also sell the Jeep much faster. I think you should fix the leaks.

In my opinion, it’s best to make needed repairs before selling a car. The other option is to sell it ‘as is’ and explain what repairs are needed (although either way - a private sale is considered ‘as is’).

If you make necessary repairs and are honest, you’ll more likely get a fair price because you will be able to prove that you have new parts and show the value of them.

If you sell a car that needs repairs ‘as is’, you will only get offers from potential buyers that are willing to gamble.

“If you sell a car that needs repairs ‘as is’, you will only get offers from potential buyers that are willing to gamble.”

And they will want to be reimbursed for taking the gamble. That $275 difference may be enough, but then again, it might not. I could see the premium grow to $1500 easily.

I’m surprised you can get appx $2700, but you are correct according to Kelly Blue Book. They quote $2635 for a private party sale for a typically equipped vehicle.

&725 to replace the water pump and radiator is a reasonable price. You’ll have to discount the price by more than this to sell it as is. Most buyers will shy away, thinking there may be other problems w/the cooling system – heater core damage for example, which can be quite expensive to replace. They may also imagine the engine has overheated and the head may have been warped. Another expensive repair. And indeed there may be other problems. So all in all I think you are better off having the repairs done. I’ve never worked on this model, but on many econo-box cars replacing the radiator is very easy. As easy as changing the oil. If you have handy-man instincts, you might be able to do that yourself. Radiators are a commodity, so check around for price quotes. I replaced a radiator for a Toyota Corolla recently, and got quotes from 6 parts stores, ranging from $375 to $99. I told the one with the $99 price that his competitor had one for $89, so they matched it! I got the radiator for $89.