Repair Estmate reasonable?

1992 plymouth laser 1.8L … front end work… is this estimate reasonable? I am in Missouri. seems high to me (but so does everything else)

replace control arm with ball joint  (both sides)

replace F stabilizer bar control Link (both sides)
Replace outer Tie Rod end (one side)
labor &parts… 1360.

30 year old car, inflationary times and high demand for auto repair work…

Doesn’t seem high to me at all.

4 Likes

Prices can vary based on the shop and locale so multiple estimates would be a good idea. Seems a bit high for my area (OK) but…
Rates in a larger city can easily be higher than a small town.

One thing not mentioned is an alignment. That is a must for a repair like this.(

3 Likes

I think I paid about $500 some years ago for both control arms, no tie rod ends. But do both, not just one and yeah alignment.

1 Like

Control arm/ball joint replacement

Parts cost for right & left side: I’m guessing $600 .
Labor: 3 hours ($300)

Stab link parts (both sides) : guessing $150
Stab link labor: 1 hour ($100)

Tie Rod Part: $75
Tie Rod Labor: 1 hour ($100)

Total:

CA/BJ: 900
Stab L: 250
Tie R : 175

So quote seems pretty reasonable. Replacing tie rod requires adjusting toe (a type of wheel alignment) at the very minimum. Be prepared, may need a complete front end alignment after this work is completed.

I am as cheap as the day is long, and I think this is a fair cost (assuming of course, the use of quality parts, and that the required alignment will be performed). And I am happy to hear that a Plymouth Laser still exists. I remember when this was a fairly common car…now I haven’t seen one in years.

George, where are you getting $100 per hour? In my area of southern NJ, labor rates start at $150 per hour, and they average a little over $200. Those rates are for smaller indie shops, and I imagine they are even more for larger shops.

I am in a city about 100 miles from St. Louis in a mostly rural area. Labor rates were around $100/hr last time I took a car in but that might be more these days…

I haven’t seen a Laser for quite a while either. There is a friend who had an extra Mitsubishi Eclipse which I think is basically the same thing last time I talked to him but it was starting to rust out pretty badly and he was thinking about selling it while used car prices are so elevated.

1 Like

+1
My indy mechanic charges $140 per hour, and–IIRC–the dealership charges over $200/hour.

My usual method, guessing.

1 Like

Don’t you think that guessing will just cause confusion for people asking questions here ?

No. Educated guesses perfectly acceptable here imo. Best is the perfect, but good is better than nothing. OP is invited to address Volvo’s query above as well.

I replaced shocks, struts, and links on my aging Pontiac. My total labor cost was $85 for an alignment. My only point is that for those keeping a 30 year old car going, most repairs should be done by the owner. Whether the local labor rate is $100 or $200, should not be relevant.
If you have plenty of money, it’s no problem, otherwise diy or trade for a newer model. Like said if you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it.

I’ve kept plenty of aging cars going but having to pay a professional for all the repairs would have soon made a new car more cost effective. For example is $5000 for rocker panel work too high compared to $300 diy?

2 Likes