Reliability of 1. Direct Injection (Hyundai) and 2. PowerShift Transmission (Ford)

Would you consider either technology to be “proven” when it comes to reliability?

The dual-clutch automated-manual PowerShift worries me a little bit especially in traffic. That clutch has to engage and disengage many many times.

I heard there were carbon buildup issues with DI engine. Hyundai gives a nice 100K warranty but I think most people expect an engine to last much longer, 200K at least.

The Powershift transmission isn’t anything new, it’s been used in Europe for years. Likewise DI engines aren’t exactly new either, most diesels are direct injection.

FoDaddy is right - these aren’t really brand new technologies. DI has been around longer than dual clutch autos, but not at Hyundai. Hyundai first started making vehicles with DI in early 2010. I’m sure they were working on it for years, though, as it does take a long time to prove out the technology. Ford has considerably more gasoline DI experience (they traded licenses on gasoline DI for licenses on Toyota’s hybrid systems - both developed their own systems, but Ford beat the competition to the US patent office by years in some cases).

As for dual-clutch autos, Ford’s first dual clutch came out in 2008, but their first dry dual-clutch came out in 2010. A bit more experience than Hyundai has with DI, but not by that much.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about either one. I haven’t heard of widespread DI problems at other manufacturers, and a dual-clutch auto would be subject to no more wear than a standard manual clutch - and in fact, probably less, as the powertrain computer can just about guarantee no slip between the clutch plates when they engage/disengage. Drivers with standard manual transmissions could never guarantee that, and the basic clutch construction is near identical… and those last a LONG time if the driver is good…

The only issues with D.I. are cost and the reliability of the 300-400 PSI fuel pump. Also, fuel leaks at those pressures can be disastrous (fire danger) so the lines, fittings and rail must be very high quality to minimize any leak problems…But the benefits are great, allowing 10 to 1 compression engines to run on regular 87 octane fuel…

I guess DI is the primary reason why the Sonata gets much better MPG’s than the Camry and Accord then?

One of the major reasons, yes, if you consider getting 29 mpg combined vs 26 mpg combined “much better” (according to owner reports at fueleconomy.gov, not sticker)

At today’s fuel prices and 12,000 miles per year, that’s about $150 per year in gas. I don’t view that sort of savings as being a critical deciding factor… I’d say the Sonata’s superior driving dynamics vs. the Camry should be a bigger deciding factor than such small savings.

I wouldn’t worry about direct injection. It’s the wave of the future. More and more gasoline engines use DI every year.

The only problem I see with Fords PowerShift transmission is that, from what I’ve read, anyway, it’s sealed. No lubricant change possible. That makes it a throw-away, I guess.

Please note: most engines last WAY longer than the warranty period.

I would rather buy the Hyundai DFI engine than a Ford Automatic Transmission.
Changing the oil often on the Hyundai will stave off any issues the oil will get from excessive fuel dilution. Since you can’t change the fluid on the Ford, you’re pretty much screwed.

BC.

If you have a direct injection engine, you would be well-advised to use Top-Tier gasoline. Because of the greater tendency for a DI engine to build up carbon deposits around the injectors, using more detergents is a definite advantage, and the Top-Tier gasolines have that higher level of detergents.

It’s a dry clutch. What fluid is there to change?

If one has a TTG station around. The closest stations I find are 17 miles away from my place.