Reliability, ease of maintenance, and dependability?

I have tried to hold off, thinking rising gas prices were making it unreasonable to buy a new truck, BUT… Now i want/need one.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota? Full size, four door.

Any insight as to which brand is best (good, better, best)? I personally like the Dodge 1500 quadcab. Do any of the regulars have any thoughts?

oh yeah…While trying to get accurate info on the trucks history, is consumer reports actually worth the subscription? Or is there another type of unbiased reporting organization out there?

From locals (I live in a truck-loving redneck rural area), it seems that Chevy’s trucks are quite good. Fords are decent, aside from their nasty spark plug spitting tendencies. Dodge’s, from what I’ve heard, have had problems with their powertrains - but a number of locals drive diesel Dodges and love them. Toyota’s trucks are decent as well, especially since they’ve fixed the engine problems afflicting earlier Tundras. If I had to pick one, I’d go with a diesel Chevy. Of course, it depends on what you’re using it for. I think the Toyota, though, has more interior space than other trucks. You might also consider the Honda Ridgeline if you’re not planning on doing tons of towing.

A big dealer has lots of low prices. The biggest one in my area sells Fords and I haveseen some great deals, but a GMC dealer has a few good prices too. He’s not as big but he’s the largest volume one in this town. It seems to be a good time to buy, maybe not as good as August.

I worked for an employer who had GM trucks and Ford trucks. The Fords spent more time in the shop than the Chevys and, strangely, the GMC trucks spent less time in the shop than the Chevys. Personally, I like the Toyota Tundra, but they cost more to buy than the Fords and GMs, so my former employer refused to buy them.

Well, I don’t currently own a truck but 3 of my brothers-in-law all use Chevys for personal use and in their masonry business. They drive them hard and usually retire them at around the 450-500k mark.
I live in truck country and many farmers around here use, and swear by, the Dodges and Fords. Nothing wrong with the Toyota or the Chevy either. Look at this one.

They all are really decent trucks each with a certain strongpoint over the other. Go for what you like and I don’t think there is any wrong choice here. Domestic Branded trucks are really good.

I have a brother-in-law who’s a retired Chryco plant manager and now he and his sons own a construction company. He started with Ram pickups then went to GM then Ford and now for the past 5 years…nothing buy Toyota and is NOT going back. Has a lot less down time. Says he’s saving thousands with the 4 toyota’s he owns.

Cappy, I should think that by now you have your answer … there is no answer! They are all good trucks and you can’t go wrong with whatever choice you make. As andrew already stated, go for what you like. Let us know so we can offer our congratulations.

I bought an F150 in 2003 and it has been a good truck, although the tie rod ends went fast. The mileage is terrible as I have a tow package, and the gearing is set up for that. At work, we have some Chevy trucks, and they are so much more comfortable than my Ford, and feel more like a car ride. I read all reviews on Consumer Reports, and the Honda Ridgeline is their best small truck. It is more safe, reliable, and comfortable than anything else, but it is not a truck truck. It is a passenger vehicle, with some truck like qualities. The Toyota Tacoma is more of a truck, and the Frontier gets a little bit better ratings than the Tacoma. They both look great. The new Tundra seems to be having some problems, and I would wait a year or so to see if they square those away.

Look at your needs, how much payload, and towing, and go from there. Consumer reports likes the Chevy 1500, or Silverado 2500 with the safety features like Electronic Stability Control…

My sisters 2000 Tundra v8 4wd is not reliability bliss. I would consider it average with a few O2 sensors already and a problem with brake master cylinder. The truck only has 80k on it currently. It is used for towing a horse/4000 lb trailor and maintained per book at Toyota dealer.

You don’t need a subsription. Their automobile issues are available at the local bookstore. Yup, they’re worth the price.

I’ve only test drove a ford and chevy truck, i liked the ride on the chevy, but the ford handled better/turned sharper. In this case, it’s mostly what fits you, one might be better at something, but lacks in another area. I think Ford offers an e85 engine option, but I know that Chevy offers one if that makes any difference where you live

They’re worth it, but remember this:

Anything average or better is pretty darn good. A half-black mark or two really shouldn’t eliminate a model, either… Just keep in mind the differences are smaller than they make them look, and have fun! (in other words, the data is useful, but don’t make too much out of it)

Though I?ve always been a Toyota fan, a good friend purchased a 3/4 ton Isuzu diesel powered GMC. A smoother, more powerful PU motor is tough to find. It?s expensive, but worth a look. I am reading that Toyota will use Isuzu diesel motors in years to come.